Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired a S and W Model 28-2 originally purchased in September of 1975. All the accompanying literature in original box say 4" BBl and .357 Mag. But, looking at barrel, say .45 caliber Model 1955.

I'm new to forum and handguns...any help explaining the differences in model and caliber?

JK

·
Registered
747 Posts
Sounds like someone put a revolver into a box that doesn't match, at the very least.
If you can get some pictures, especially of any numbers inside the frame where the yoke sits, and the serial # from the bottom of the grip, someone will be along shortly that can help get it sorted.

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
Serial # N2109 _ _ left the factory 1974-77 (supports your 1975 date). Possibly a rebarrel/rechamber?

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
It was made in 1974.
Sounds like somebody put a .45 caliber barrel and cylinder on it. It would be interesting but would detract from the value of it in it's original .357 Magnum caliber.
Jim

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
If it was made in 1974 the gun will be Model marked on the frame in the yoke relief. Model 28s were very cheap for years and were used as the basis for many big bore conversions.

·
Registered
423 Posts
In the past I converted a couple of 28-2 .357s to .44 spl. I had the cylinders re-chambered and used original .44 spl barrels I already had. This may be a similar situation.

·
Super Moderator
34,476 Posts
Welcome to the forum! welcome01

I agree, looking at the bore will be easy to tell the different calibers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts