Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up this Smith & Wesson pistol, looks a little rough but seems to function okay, everything seems nice and tight. I plans don't change I will have it at the range tomorrow to see how it shoots.

So, the questions, is this a Model 2 maybe variation 3? Does anybody know what year it was produced?

ALSO, I have a mixed bag of old ammo, would this one handle smokeless 32 S&W rounds?
(I think it is a 32 S&W, right)

Input appreciated.
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I believe that you have a Smith and Wesson model 1 1/2 break top 32 S&W single action revolver. Made from 1878 to 1892. Yours is the second and last type as it has 5 Numbers. My example #864xx left the factory July 1887.

Reactions: combat

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very cool, I noticed differences between the model 2 and this one so a 1 1/2 sounds right. So probably around 1885!

Assuming 32 S&W is the same as .32 Short so blast away with the smokeless, I will be at the range trying it out in the morning!

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Note that the 32 S&W is not the same as 32 Short Colt, The 32 Short Colt cartridge will be approx. .318" diameter case vs. .335" diameter of the 32 S&W cartridge case.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Note that the 32 S&W is not the same as 32 Short Colt, The 32 Short Colt cartridge will be approx. .318" diameter case vs. .335" diameter of the 32 S&W cartridge case.
If he has any of the .32 Short or Long Colts, they're now in the "collector" category--haven't been loaded in many decades. The .32 Short S&Ws are, or were until recently, still being produced.

·
Premium Member
20,736 Posts
The Model 2 was a tip-up in .32 rimfire. Your top break Model 1-1/2 single action will take .32 S&W smokeless as noted above.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took this one out to the range yesterday as well.

Light recoil but I had trouble hitting much of anything with it at 30ft. Also, wasn't particularly fond of the spur trigger, I wanted to use both hands to cock but noticed my hand would be near the front of the barrel and covering the gap between cylinder and barrel but close to the trigger so I ender up cocking with only one hand.

My brother in law on the other hand could hit the target and also enjoyed this one, took pictures to share etc. My 14 year old son also very much preferred the safety hammerless.
(Again using the old crummy ammo, maybe 15% or so didn't fire so you could tell if you were flinching or not)

Jim

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts