Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 9 shield rated for plus p ( I think the answer is yes ) and if so is it ok to shoot 9mm nato thru it?
I have run a few mags thru it and couldn't even tell the difference between that and the luger.
I know the nato has more power but how does it compare to +p.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Enclosed with your Shield 9X19mm is instruction literature. Read it! It covers the question you asked! When all fails read the OEM literature provided!:D

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
From what I have read on the forums NATO is close to +P and have fired it but see no real advantage . I have Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P for defense rounds and is accurate and functions well , also it is not has hot as some Hornady +P I have fired . I can handle +P in my Shield ok but not with M&P FS, I assume because of muzzle flip with longer barrel. I may not buy anymore +P after shooting what I have .

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I do not see the need for +P ammo in any gun, no need for it if you use quality self defense ammo. I believe you can use it but it will wear the gun out prematurely with a steady diet

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I do not see the need for +P ammo in any gun, no need for it if you use quality self defense ammo.
I do. If the barrel is under 4" you generally lose velocity, and especially if you are lobbing 124gr. Quality ammo has to be moving fast enough to reach the expansion threshold or you might as well shoot ball ammo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts