Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tell me what i got here. was told it was pre model 15 combat masterpiece. but cant find any videos or pics of exact same gun. one shop i took it to said everythings original to the gun except GK engraving.
GK = General George Kastner = 1st and last owner. gun was inherited.

·
Premium Member
18,873 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Yes a pre – model 15 from 1952.! Good-looking gun! You need to go shoot it. You'll fall in love.

Guy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Yes a pre – model 15 from 1952.! Good-looking gun! You need to go shoot it. You'll fall in love.

Guy
put 100 rounds through it so far. AMAZING.
been told different numbers on the value. like to get a accurate value. been told 200-2000.

·
Premium Member
18,873 Posts
Well, condition is everything on these guns. The Engraving knocks the value down substantially. Being a pre model increases the value but doesn't offset the Engraving. I guess maybe $500 to $600 as a shooter.

Guy

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
S&W did not use a model number system until 1957. You revolver is often called a Combat Masterpiece or K38 Combat Masterpiece. After 1957 they were assigned the model number 15

·
Premium Member
11,142 Posts
Congratulations on inheriting this fine revolver. They literally don't make 'em that way anymore. The precision and workmanship in this era was outstanding.

If you're looking for an insurance replacement value, put it at retail. A price a dealer would sell it for. Guy quoted you a shooter price from a direct person to person sale. Add about 30% for a retail value. Since you'd potentially be replacing it for insurance purposes, you don't discount the engraving.

If you want the value for a direct sale, use the numbers quoted. But... I would never sell a revolver I inherited from my relative that served as a General.

I assume he was on an honor flight a few years ago:

Eternal thanks for his service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations on inheriting this fine revolver. They literally don't make 'em that way anymore. The precision and workmanship in this era was outstanding.

If you're looking for an insurance replacement value, put it at retail. A price a dealer would sell it for. Guy quoted you a shooter price from a direct person to person sale. Add about 30% for a retail value. Since you'd potentially be replacing it for insurance purposes, you don't discount the engraving.

If you want the value for a direct sale, use the numbers quoted. But... I would never sell a revolver I inherited from my relative that served as a General.

I assume he was on an honor flight a few years ago:

Eternal thanks for his service.
not for sale just trying to pin down a value. belonged to the wifes step grandfather. only other heir scared of pew pews so i ended up with it. he passed 15 years ago and it popped up few months back.

·
Registered
23,468 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Great looking pre 15! Enjoy and pass it down.

·
Super Moderator
32,950 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

That is a fine looking Combat Masterpiece, one of the favorites for many Smith fans

1 - 10 of 10 Posts