Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve recently picked up a 686-5 (beautiful gun, serial # CCR-XXXX) and the front sights are the integral ramp sights. I thought all the 686-5’s had the pinned front sights? Anyone have any incite?

·
Registered
14,521 Posts
I have 2 no dash and 2 dash 6 model 686's. The dash 6's have pinned front sights. The older ones do not. I thought they had gone to pinned with the dash 5, but maybe not. If S&W had a lot of barrels on hand when they went from dash 4 to dash 5, I am pretty sure they would have used them up before moving on to the newer style

·
Registered
14,521 Posts
I’ve recently picked up a 686-5 (beautiful gun, serial # CCR-XXXX) and the front sights are the integral ramp sights. I thought all the 686-5’s had the pinned front sights? Anyone have any incite?
It is actually pretty normal to find a few S&W revolvers with characteristics from 2 engineering changes. An example would be like a model 66 made right when they were phasing out the pinned barrels and recessed cylinders. There are examples that have a pinned barrel but not the recessed cylinders or the other way around. I suspect your 686 was made towards the beginning of the change in barrels/sights and got the older style barrel on a dash 5 frame

1 - 5 of 5 Posts