Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Smith and Wesson 651-1 that has all original box papers and even the receipt from when it was originallu purchased. I am doing research on this and I am not finding much. From what I can gather there were not many 2inch made and they were a special order.

I even had my dad look them up in his Smith and Wesson bibles and we could not find any info on them, just mentioned the 4 inchers.

I see 4 inchers our there but very little info on the 2 inch... I am hoping someone has more info that I can use.

And YES I did this backwards.. I bought the gun and now I am researching it. There were too many people in line for this so I had to act fast. Hope I did ok.

NOTE: This picture is identical to what I have but this is not mine. I grabbed this picture from searching online.

Thanks
Shawn

SNM651.png

·
Premium Member
18,760 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! Is the production code for your gun 103900? If so, it was made in 1998-99 and there are only 1241 reported manufactured in 1999. The SCSW doesn't say how many total. My Standard Catalog of Handguns puts its value at $575 NIB, but that is primarily for the 4" guns.

Reactions: Stubborn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome and the info!!

I do not have it with me at work but I do remember the prod code is 103900. I guess my question is this.. if there were only 1241 made then they are pretty rare right? I see gunbroker just had an auction close on one last month for $2375.00. That is a BIG jump in price in the last few years.

Searching for the one that closed for 2375 I just found this too.. also this year Smith & Wesson Mod 651-1 22 Mag 2? bbl NO RESERVE : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Of cousre now I can not find the closed auction for $2375.

So to make a long story short if I have the 651-1 2 inch barel production code 103900 there were only 1241 made for that special order and it appears from the gunbroker auctions this year they are going for close to $2,000 or more.

What a VERY NICE SUPRISE!!

Thanks
Shawn

·
Premium Member
18,760 Posts
The only way to know for sure, Shawn, is to put it up for auction. There have been several sales of 651's lately on GB. The 4" seem to be around $1200 and the 2" around $1650. The SCSW says 1241 were made in '99, but there were some made in '98 for Lew Horton as well as standard fare. No way to know for sure exactly when and how many were made unless you letter it with the S&W historian. If he knows how many, it will likely be in the letter. At any rate, it is rare. Congratulations! Please post some pictures when you can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts