Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New to the forum and will be glad for any assist. I just picked up a brand new .500 with the 4 inch barrel, It came from he factory with the compensator for jacketed bullets installed on the weapon. The first rounds that i picked up for it happen to be cast and so following the instructions that came with the beast i went to install the cast compensator only to discover once fully seated the grooves on the gun frame do not line up with the ridges on the compensator. the ridges for the jacketed compensator are fine and it can easily be installed with just my fingers. I managed to figure out the issue by comparing the two compensators. There is a small lip of Metal just under the ridge on the compensator that sits closest to the back of the gun. This lip looks unfinished in that the lip is uneven from one edge to the other. It looks like it got past QC and made it all the way to me (My luck...lol). My question is this, I have the ability to take that lip down nice and even with tools i have on hand and i feel confident enough to take care of the task myself. Is this something i should just take care of or is this something that would be worthy of sending the whole unit back to S&W to have them do it? Also, have any of you hear of this sort of thing before?

Thanks everyone in advance for any feedback!

NorCalHunter77

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: I removed the extra metal from the lead cast compensator and it still didn't fit. after some close eye work with a magnifying glass i was able to see that the top Ridge was also unfinished and after placing my micrometer on it and comparing its thickness to the other ridges i found that it was thicker then the rest by different amounts depending on where you measured. Once i evened this ridge out with some precision files i was finally able to get the compensator to twist and lock into position. I would highly suggest that anyone who wants to try this should TAKE YOUR TIME!! Remove very small amounts of material at a time and check your work MANY times throughout. I hope this helps someone out who may have a situation like this to deal with. Also shame on S&W QC for not checking those closer for a gun this pricey that shoots these sorts of pressures i would think their QC would be more on point. Just my 2 bits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts