Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any and all help is appreciated. My Dad has a collection of WWII guns. He is starting to slip and does not remember the particulars about a few of them. Most are identifiable by the markings on them but this gun has no model number. We know it is a Smith and Wesson 45 Long Colt Revolver but that is all. Not sure of the year or anything else. We did find these markings under the pistol grips. I have included pictures. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
Hey 737,

Welcome to S&W!

What a fine old .45lc!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
2nd Model . Originally chambered in .455 Webley. A lot of these were rechambered for 45 Long Colt.
These were sent to the UK or Canada for use in WW I. As a guess shipped between 1915-1917 or so. The stampings are British or Canadian proof markings.
You're also missing the lanyard loop that goes in the hole in the butt. Replacements can be had from Jack First gun parts.

The grips are much later.
Originally it would have had service grips like this:

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Looks like yours may have been converted the right way by counterboring the cylinder. Can you post a picture of the cylinder back?

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
(edit to add. Lots of members type faster than I do!)

Based in the acceptance marks, I would bet that what you have started off as a 455 Hand Ejector and was sold to the British for their use in World War I. After the war many were re-imported to this country and since the 455 cartridge was “foreign” they were converted to 45 long Colt. The 455 was never heat treated so light factory loads are the order of the day.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
20,723 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! When you take pictures of the breech face of the cylinder, shine a light through the chambers from the front so we can see the inside of the chambers. The stamps on the knuckle are from the top, the broad arrow indicating government ownership, crown over E indicating it was viewed (inspected) at Enfield, and the II indicating the 2nd Model 455. The double broad arrows point to point on the left near the trigger guard means it was sold out of service. Since it has a S&W trademark stamp, it was made before 1917...probably 1915 based on the low serial number.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all of the help. We are looking at trying to sell the gun to try and cover some of my Dad's expenses. Does anyone have any idea of how much it might be worth?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! When you take pictures of the breech face of the cylinder, shine a light through the chambers from the front so we can see the inside of the chambers. The stamps on the knuckle are from the top, the broad arrow indicating government ownership, crown over E indicating it was viewed (inspected) at Enfield, and the II indicating the 2nd Model 455. The double broad arrows point to point on the left near the trigger guard means it was sold out of service. Since it has a S&W trademark stamp, it was made before 1917...probably 1915 based on the low serial number.
Wow! Thanks so much. I hate to ask this but do you have any idea of the value of the revolver? We are looking at having to sell it to help cover some of my Dad's expenses.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Based on recent auctions on gunbroker for converted .455's, around $850 or so. You'll probably lose some value because of the grips, modded front sight and missing lanyard loop.

What do you think Guy, $700?

Reactions: Wiregrassguy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2nd Model . Originally chambered in .455 Webley. A lot of these were rechambered for 45 Long Colt.
These were sent to the UK or Canada for use in WW I. As a guess shipped between 1915-1917 or so. The stampings are British or Canadian proof markings.
You're also missing the lanyard loop that goes in the hole in the butt. Replacements can be had from Jack First gun parts.

The grips are much later.
Originally it would have had service grips like this:
Do you have a direct link to the lanyard ring? I tried to find it on the site but wasn't able to.

·
Premium Member
20,723 Posts
Based on recent auctions on gunbroker for converted .455's, around $850 or so. You'll probably lose some value because of the grips, modded front sight and missing lanyard loop.

What do you think Guy, $700?
Probably. I want to see how it was converted first.

Reactions: delcrossv

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts