Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello . I’m am respectful asking for assistance in dating and possible getting a value for this revolver. I am considering buying it and I don’t want to over pay. It appears that the rear sights are missing..

Attachments

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Yes, a .38/44 Heavy Duty Model of 1950, Pre-model 20. This model began production in 11/1950 at serial number ~S75000. So yours is an early example. It appears to have a rare 6.5" barrel. I'd put it in the over $2K category.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a really nice pistol, if the person isn't asking any where near what it's worth then they probably don't know what they have.
He is clueless as was I .. I’m definitely going to buy it today. Thank you all for your help. This is the second old SW revolver I’ve found in nickel. The first was a 6 1/2 in 29-2 and its gorgeous.
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Yes, a .38/44 Heavy Duty Model of 1950, Pre-model 20. This model began production in 11/1950 at serial number ~S75000. So yours is an early example. It appears to have a rare 6.5" barrel. I'd put it in the over $2K category.
Thank you for the welcome sir. I appreciate your assistance and knowledge of this pistol.

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
If you want to know more and get a more accurate appraisal of value, go to the .38-44 Heavy Duty website. Site owner Bill Patteson will gladly take your serial for his database and can likely tell you anything about the model you want to know.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went to Mr Bill Patterson’s site today and I saw that he owns the only post war 38/45 6 1/2 in nickel plated pistol. My gun is also a 6 1/2 in nickel plated from the 1950’s. My gun had 2 sets of serial numbers. I find that rather odd. The numbers on the crane don’t match the numbers on the inner barrel, cylinder and butt.

· Registered
18,051 Posts
I went to Mr Bill Patterson’s site today and I saw that he owns the only post war 38/45 6 1/2 in nickel plated pistol. My gun is also a 6 1/2 in nickel plated from the 1950’s. My gun had 2 sets of serial numbers. I find that rather odd. The numbers on the crane don’t match the numbers on the inner barrel, cylinder and butt.
Yep, assembly numbers. S&W would fit up all the parts, then disassemble them for the polishing & finishing process. Those numbers were so they could get the right parts on the right guns when reassembling them

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
Bill doesn't own all the guns he pictures on his site. Also, he didn't say the one he has pictured is the only 6.5" nickel Model 1950 made. It is the only one that the collector community has identified. Now there is another one...yours. I hope you contacted him and sent him your pictures.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, assembly numbers. S&W would fit up all the parts, then disassemble them for the polishing & finishing process. Those numbers were so they could get the right parts on the right guns when reassembling them
Thank you!
Bill doesn't own all the guns he pictures on his site. Also, he didn't say the one he has pictured is the only 6.5" nickel Model 1950 made. It is the only one that the collector community has identified. Now there is another one...yours. I hope you contacted him and sent him your pictures.
Thanks for the clarification. I have sent him an email and pictures. I’m waiting for a response..

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think this S&W 38/44 was a great pawnshop find.. Wow!! I’m one happy guy!! That you all for your input and assistance!!

Attachments

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
Johnny, take the grips off and post pictures of the left side of the grip frame. The star stamped on the cylinder face means your gun went back to S&W for cylinder work and I want to see if they stamped the service date on the left toe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.