Smith And Wesson Forums banner

smith and wesson 38 special ctg

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Wiregrassguy 
#1 ·
my friend is passing away and gave me an old gun he got somehow. I want to sell it for him or buy it myself. serial number is 17089 on the bottom of the grip and 7784 on the inside of case ejector pocket/catch. it also has markings on top of the barrel "smith and wesson springfield, mass usa pat'd july 1 84 and below that april 9 89 may 21 95 july 16 95 aug 4 95 dec 22 95 (or 96) oct 4 98. it has the S&W trademark on the right side of the pistol and on both grips Gun Firearm Trigger Ammunition Revolver
Product Gun Brown Firearm Photograph

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
You have a Model of 1899 Target , shipped around 1901-1902. Target models are quite uncommon and even with most of the finish gone it'll bring at least $800 + around here.

Do not consider refinishing it, it'll destroy it's value.

Very cool, welcome to the forum!

#4 ·
Spot on. In my neck of the woods the price would likely start at closer to $1000.
What an awesome piece of history and its condition looks to be very good for a 120 year old gun. That patina is beautiful.

#7 ·
thanks all for the welcoming me to the forum and for the identification of this gun and your thoughts on the value. yes, tomjimmy, there is a screw missing and there is a wire holding in the hole to keep the front sight in place. in order to keep the value of the gun where can I get these parts? due to covid our gun club has cancelled our February gun show, what's the best way to sell this piece of history whether it's in your neck of the woods or other's. thanks all

#9 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! WK, it would have been better if you had started your own post because we will be seeing two conversations in this one. Nevertheless, you have a .38 Military & Police revolver from the early to mid-1930's before 1936 when the trademark stamp moved to the sideplate. Your serial number is as you stated. The gun appears to be in very good condition except for toward the rear of the barrel. I can't quite make out if something stamped there was polished off or not. Will you remove the grips and show us both sides of the grip frame? Unless there is some other reason to increase the value, it would sell in the $450+/- range around here.

#10 ·
Thank you Wiregrass! I'm a bit confused about the barrel too. If the receiver had wear marks I would think a holster caused the discoloring. Looks like the bluing is pristine on everything except the barrel.

Attached are the requested photos without the grip.

-Kevin

Attachments

#11 ·
Well, there's nothing on the grip frame to help explain. I believe your gun was refinished outside the factory at some point and it was very well done, except for the barrel. It appears that they blued the barrel over some residual corrosion that could not be polished out. Anyway, it is a nice looking gun and should be an excellent shooter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.