Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to determine value of my late fathers revolver.
Smith and Wesson .357 Model 19-4,blued
36K4973 and 95857 E10
Any help would be appreciated!
Thank You,
Ted in Salem Oregon

·
Premium Member
11,656 Posts
The answer is that the value varies a great deal depending on exact version of the gun, where you are in the USA, the gun's condition, and current market for that model.

The online auction sites and their completed sales are probably the best indication of value. You must adjust for condition, and where you are trying to sell it.

Clearly, a forum like this can't give accurate estimates without knowing details. Gun shops have to make a profit, and they'll offer something different that a private buyer would. They'll also sell it at a markup for profit, establishing an approximate insurance value for replacing one.

·
Registered
24,561 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Value is dependent on condition and features (Pinned Barrel, recessed cylinder, etc..) and yes, pics would help us answer your questions.;)

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Dealer's will 'give you' maybe $100. Then, put it in the gun case (untouched) for $500 to $700.....depending on condition. They say "I have to make a living....ya' know???" I don't like gun dealer's very much!!!!! 'Gun Crooks'.....would be more accurate!!!! Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, private party sale, would I be safe to start at $600 and say best offer. I also have a police belt and holster with lots of accessories.
Thank You

·
Registered
214 Posts
I’d hold onto it unless your strapped for cash. I just started buying smiths and they have gone up in value a lot just since 2015. To say nothing of any sentimental value. If your looking around for real world value Armslist.com and search 19-4. It’s hit or miss some stuff is wildly overpriced. Vendors definitely charge a premium. Gunbroker is another but I feel like they’re high.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Around here the market has dropped on blued Model 19's in the 4 and 6" barrel lengths. The 2.5" still hold value well. Everyone wants Stainless Model 66's. A blued 4" Model 19 with rubber grips would be around $500. Maybe $550 if extremely nice. Original Grips would add $50. If it were my father's gun, I doubt seriously I would ever sell it unless I was really hurting for money.

·
Premium Member
11,656 Posts
First, don't ever consider selling it. It's your Father's revolver.

Next, insure it for $750 if you're going to list it individually.

They literally don't make them like this anymore.

Do look for the original wood grips.

·
Registered
190 Posts
As you can see, different folks in different areas of the country have differing takes on what it would be worth to them. I am no different and here is my take on it's value. What you have is a pretty much bog standard M19-4 missing the original grips. It might very well be a $600 gun with the stock grips, but missing those and combined with pictures that don't really tell me what the finish condition is actually like, I personally wouldn't value it at more than $450 based on the information and pictures provided.

Bear in mind that original factory target stocks are fetching $75-$125 on Ebay, so I decrease the value by that amount. Properly cleaned with the factory grips and decent pictures may change my estimate.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Thank you for posting photos of your dads Model 19.

From an old retired cops perspective, if your dad was in law enforcement and that was his duty handgun and duty rig I would never sell it if I was you.

A pinned barrel recessed cylinder Model 19 with Pachmayer rubber grips was my duty gun in the early 1970's until switching to a Model 66 here in humid Florida.

By the time I retired we were carrying Glocks.

Image 1.jpg

Pull those rubber grips off your dads gun ASAP as they will allow moisture to collect between the grips and the metal frame and cause rust and pitting which may have occurred already.

I would like to see the duty rig your dad wore. Mine was a Bianchi.

Regards,

FlaRon

·
Super Moderator
33,417 Posts
Welcome to the forum! welcome01

Nice Smith, I agree with the comment about Dad's gun...priceless!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts