Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question - I just bought a very nice used Model 66 - 4 with a 2.5" bbl, round butt factory "banana" type stocks. The hammer and trigger are case hardened carbon steel - regular size hammer, smooth combat trigger. I presume someone added these after the fact, correct? All 66s came with stainless hammer & trigger?

·
Registered
19,798 Posts
I think that only the original M-66's had the SS trigger, hammer, and sights. I believe they had problems using SS (too brittle????), so they went back to using flash chromed carbon steel, with the 66-1......maybe before. Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
They went to the case hardened hammer and trigger like the blued guns had at the -4 change on the 66,686 and 629. I do not know why.

The 66 no dash may have had SS (can't remember) hammers and triggers but the 66-1 through 66-3 had the flash chromed carbon steel hammer and triggers.

That 66-4 IMO is the best of the best in a 66, great gun! I just picked one up too in the 2.5 inch barrel mint NIB with papers ect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, I didn't know about the changes although I was aware some stainless guns at some point had issues. I was really starting to wonder, the DA sear is stainless and the hammer's firing pin appears to be stainless though I'm not certain. Good to know it's factory.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I recall the Florida Highway Patrol had some trouble when they issued the new stainless model 66 to their troopers. It had something to do with heat and cylinders binding up. I notice on the 66-1 they moved the gas ring from the yoke to the cylinder, I don't know if that was a fix or economical manufacturing move. I have a 66-1, and never had it tie up.

I favor the N-frame 357, but I do appreciate the smaller 66. I have four: a 66-1 with a 2 and one half inch barrel, and two three inchers and a 66-3, with a 4 inch barrel.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
As an after thought, decided to throw in this picture of my 66-1, trigger and hammer prominently shown as to show metal of each.

. . .The 640 above has big soft rubber grips, for good reason.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is a -4 that I picked up last year. It came with the pachmayr's from the factory I believe. I have seen others with the combat style pach's. I love this gun. It shoots great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts