Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a smith 1905 4th change lettered in original box. My concern is the bluing on the side is dark and light on the side plate. Same piece of metal, however
different shades. I looked for stamping under the grips nothing. It is close to mint as I have seen. Any advise appreciated. I can post pics but it doesn't show well. Also
not sure how to post pics.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
You can load pics directly from your computer. Click on the picture icon above. A popup says select image.click on that and pick the picture, select it then click on upload.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMG_0506.JPG IMG_0506.JPG
I purchased a smith 1905 4th change lettered in original box. My concern is the bluing on the side is dark and light on the side plate. Same piece of metal, however
different shades. I looked for stamping under the grips nothing. It is close to mint as I have seen. Any advise appreciated. I can post pics but it doesn't show well. Also
not sure how to post pics.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Hold the gun out in front of you with two hands. Now look down the sights. Can you see the difference in color now? Actually judging by the sideplate seam the bluing looks original but better photos would help.

·
Registered
351 Posts
From what year is this gun?

I can’t see the sideplate shading issue you describe, but the sideplate is missing the logo, so I hope the gun letters between 1917 and 1936. If you take the sideplate off, there should be an assembly number on the back that should match the one in the yoke cut (when you open the cylinder; it’s different from the serial). That will tell you if the plate is original to this gun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The gun was shipped April 24, 1922. I have the letter from smith, and the logo is on the other side. if you look at the pics , u can see a dark and light blue on the revolver. hard to get in pics because u have to get it just right in the light. u see the almost straight line separating the bluing.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The gun was shipped April 24, 1922. I have the letter from smith, and the logo is on the other side. if you look at the pics , u can see a dark and light blue on the revolver. hard to get in pics because u have to get it just right in the light. u see the almost straight line separating the bluing.
Good, for a 1922 vintage no logo on the plate is correct.

Now I can see two possible candidates for the "straight line" you may be talking about. Is either the red or green arrow I inserted into the attached snip pointing at it? I initially took both to be reflections of the background.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The green arrow is on the line I am wondering about. Hard to believe it is refinished, It came with original box, the grips are serialized to the gun without a scratch or chip. However
this bothers me to no end.

·
Registered
920 Posts
It could have happened at the factory. Someone over polished the blue on the side plate and "quality control" let it slip by and be sold to the public.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The gun does indeed look pristine, the stocks brand-new and the case color on the trigger seems very vibrant.

This may just be one of those things. Not to overthink it, but I’d almost say that it is simply a factory deviation because nobody would go through all that trouble “faking” a pristine gun and then leave a visible oddity like that in place, especially on a common model.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Yep. Just take her out and go shooting. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ll throw this out because I’ve seen something very similar...

In the interest of full disclosure, my actions have led to similar 'lines' on a blued surface...

Some time ago, I had a nice Spanish 28g round body upland game gun with a minor blemish in the bluing on the receiver. I rubbed the blemish very lightly with some Mothers and easily removed it -- the blemish was about the size of this 'o' and the area rubbed about the size of a penny. However, the scratch pattern (there’s always a scratch pattern, no matter what polish you use) in the area I treated was slightly different than the surrounding area --- thus creating a differential in sheen/reflectivity in the treated area -vs- the surrounding factory-polished area.

In short, if you looked in the right sort of lighting, there was a ‘line’ in the receiver bounding the treated area looking very much like that shown in your revolver.

The solution in my case was easy: I very lightly polished the remainder of the receiver to unify the scratch pattern to provide a uniform sheen/reflectivity across the entire surface.

This may or may not be your situation, but differential polishing on a blued surface can show-up as a 'line' in the bluing in the right lighting.

The solution for me was OK, but YMMV.

Hope that helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts