Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the 1905 M & P Lend Lease revolver in .38 S & W out to the range today. I ran about 4 cylinders of Remington factory ammo through it. The target is from 15 yards offhand. I can see why the .38 S & W was not much of a manstopper. It doesn't feel like there was much power there. All in all nice shooting revolver. Action is a bit tight and the lockup is tighter than some of my newer smith's. Not bad for a gun made in 1942.

G

·
0 Posts
Nice gun! As far as power goes, the British were quite satisfied with their 200gr bullet load. And that was wartime, not peace time theories.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Good shooting out of the old gun. You did well. Did the revolver shoot to point of aim with your ammunition? You kept them all in the square.

While its not a powerhouse, I have a soft spot for the .38 S&W round. A K-Frame like yours would be a great way to shoot it.

Thanks for the shooting report.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Smith does shoot to point of aim, pretty much right on the money. I don't know how much handloading I will do for it, not a gun I will be shooting all the time.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
David, nice group. Factory Remington was using something like a 145 grain .359 bullet. Anticipating someone trying it in a blackpowder era top-break. A .361 bullet at 175 grains with 3-3.5 grains of Unique won't put you in mind of a +P but it does cause one to give the Brits minmal consideration.

I certainly would put no faith in the factory loading for serious social work.

I continue to enjoy your articles and posts.

Bill

Ooops! Off in la-la land and I just caught the date of this! Still mean't every word.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts