Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Small Frames w/Adj. sights?

5K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  bustedknee 
#1 · (Edited)
I know Smith makes short-barrel magnums w/Adj. sights. . . Do they, or have they made a small frame .32 or .38 w/a 3" bbl. and Adj. sights? As I get older, I really need the better sights.

#2 ·
Well, in .32 you won't find new models (just .22), but in .357/.38 there are a few model 60 with 3" bbl like this or this.

The big rest on Home/Handguns/Revolvers/Small Frame (J) have fixed sights. But ... maybe interesting for you, the are some with HI VIZ-fiber optics like the model 340PD (although just short barrell).
Peter

#3 · (Edited)
I know Smith makes short-barrel magnums w/Adj. sights. . . Do they, or have they made a small frame .32 or .38 w/a 3" bbl. and Adj. sights. As I get older, I really need the better sights.
Welcome to the forum.

Smith has made several J (small) frames with target sights over the years but never in a regular production quantity like .22/32 Kit Guns. A very few limited production runs have been made in .32 H&R Mag which also shoots .32 Long, and a later version chambered in .327 Fed Mag which also shoots .32 H&R Mag & .32 Long. But they were so few, that they are expensive collectors items.

Some of us have gone so far as to add Kit Gun target sights to .32 Long models which is not that difficult or expensive to do or have done like my 1966 Model 30-1:

Pre war .32s are numerous and cheap which make good host guns for improved sights:

An easier way is to swap in a .32 cyl and barrel in a .22 Kit Gun which already has Target sights:

Those made in .38 Spl are more numerous and in fact as shown by papa tango, .357/38 versions are still currently produced.
And these .38 models are relatively easy to find on the used market (and without the internal lock):

Mod 36-1 .38 Target 3":

Model 36-6 Target 3":

My Mod 60-4 .38 Target 3":

#6 ·
As I get older, I really need the better sights.
Man, does that ring true to me. Reloader me needs adj. sights plus older me get's to lazy to carry more than 3" .nvonjvila
S&W has in the past visited these markets but never stayed long making them a little harder to find.
This is a 632 that digests ALL the .32s.

And a 60-4 for 38s.

Currently Ruger may be serving this market better with the SP101 line.

#7 ·
There are a number of J frame revolvers in 3 in. with adjustable read sights. I have a few model 36-6 3" with the Adj sights. Also look out for a 60-1 3", same thing even thought almost all the other 60's have hog trough sights.

#8 · (Edited)
The only factory target sighted .32 Long only models were made on the I frame, a similar size and a predecessor to the J frame. Most are pre war guns made up to WW II, and mostly with 6" barrels, but not all:

.32 Hand Ejector, Target, Model 1903-1st Change, 3 1/4" barrel, 1904-1906:

.32 HE Model 1903 (2nd Model) 1903-1904, Serial #21XX, 4 1/4" with cyl hold open and added target sights.

196 were last issued in 1957 as a ".32 Reg. Police Target Post War Transitional" on the 'I' frame, 4" barrel, 6 screw, non-Model #’d with small trigger guard and leaf mainspring (pre "Improved 'I' frame"). This model still has the smaller pre war cylinder diameter, frame window and pre war target sights.

Most features totally out of character with the non-target Pre Model 31 guns of the 1957 period! A very convoluted transition model for sure. Brief details of these 196 guns are on page 128, 3rd edition, Standard Catalog of S&W, Supica and Nahas, pictured pg. 127.

#11 ·
I guess Ill be the spoiler here. What are you trying to do with a 2 inch J frame that would require target sights?? Short barrel J frames are made for close quarters self defense use. We talking about using this gun in garlic breath distance of your adversary. I have qualified with a 2 inch J frame 5 shot out to 15 yards on the Florida State Course without problem. So again Why do you feel you need target adjustable sights on a 2 inch or 3 inch J frame??

#13 ·
Fair question-

First I am looking for a 3" barrel to get the longer sight radius on a "quick -carry" gun. My normal cc weapon is a Govt. Model w/Bo-mar sights. I have trained out to 100yrds w/the 1911. With my old Detective Special, I used to put 8 out of 10 on the silhouette target, shooting off hand. (It was neither quick nor easy w/the fixed sights. . .) I shot consistent 5" groups from a rest w/the same gun. I have used side arms in military, para-military and civilian work. I have always trained to exploit the full potential of all small arms that I work with. I know what the accuracy potential is of all of my arms.
Now to address one specific need I have: I sometimes work uniformed security on week ends. When I go off-duty, I put a coat on over my uniform. There is no way I can dig that .45 out from behind my R hip while sitting in my Miata (had to do it once, and it was both ugly and comical. . .).

#12 ·
Snubbys w/ decent sights can be very accurate, even a 1 7/8" barrel is enough to stabilize a bullet. The only drawback is a short sight radius. I've proven to a lot of non-believers (mostly cops) a snubby can hold a very good group even out to 100 yards. Anyone who doesn't believe this is invited to my backyard range for a free demonstration.

#18 ·
I quess it all comes down to intended uses. Self defense Vs casual target shooting or plinking on the range. Big differences. Frankly for 40 years + I have carried a gun every day and train people to shoot and defend themselves. Both Law Enforcement , Civilians and Security employees. My side arm is there to defend me and buy me time to get to a long gun if I can. My short gun is a back up and not really a primary carry. My short gun intended use is to back up should my primary duty weapon go down ( Stoppage).. Yes I have seen people that shoot 100 yards with a 2 inch. Impossible shots on the outdoor channel shower Jerry M doing it at 500 yards and showed Bob M doing it at 1000 yards with a North American Arms .22. All that comes from practice and knowing what the gun and what YOU are capable of . Most people don't train or shoot that much. But the average person out there doesn't shoot or have the experience needed. The average shooter in American shoots about 100 rounds per year. I merely put into focus what guns were designed for and what there'y capabilities are. Are long shots possible with a short gun? Ask any instructor the answer is Hell Yes!! Should they be done in real world shootings? Probably not..

Just my opinion.

#19 ·
Here is the gun that converted me to Glocks.
Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol

It will not hit close to point of aim (low left) and like some folks have stated, S&W says it is good enough for close self defense.

BS! That just ain't good enough for me.

I want my guns to hit where I aim them. Sure, I can hit a guy at 3 steps but what about the head of that rattlesnake? Or that injured deer hiding in the briar patch? Or that grouse I want to have for dinner back in moose camp?

When I pay as much money as I did for a PC gun I expect it to be accurate. I had my name engraved on it by the factory or I would simply sell it.

I have talked to several gunsmiths that usually just shake their heads when I ask about adjustable sights.

I have heard rumors that there is a gunsmith out there that does this kind of work but I haven't found him.
I would love to carry this gun but for now it's a safeweight.

If anyone knows who can put an adjustable sight on a j-frame, I would like to know.
Several times I have almost ordered a rear sight from Brownells, heck I own files and a tap & die set. And a rubber hammer.

I have owned Model 10's that shot like rifles. I have owned several other J-frames that shot dead on (With the proper bullets, of course).
Just not the newer ones.

Message sent from my stupid phone (Samsung) and delayed by US Cellular

#22 ·
"To the left ..." sounds familiar. I once had a Ruger Speed Six with 2 3/4" barrel. POI was about 5" to the left, distance 10 meters. Went to the gunsmith, which sold me the piece and requested a correction, was a second- or thirdhand gun and sending it to Ruger ... from Switzerland? No.

After the repair, which took a week or two, it still shot 2" the same direction. Same story once again - another 2 weeks later it was history. Shot it a lot, but couldn't find comfortable stocks for it (you may call it "diaspora").

So, if S&W isn't doing it, why not ask a gunsmith/company with a good reputation?

#23 ·
I'm looking for a good gunsmith.
Too many wannabees around here.
Maybe the best in the country, Clements, lives just down the road from me but he is strictly Ruger! Dang.

I have been told the factory uses a rubber hammer to adjust for left/right. I may try it. I don't carry the gun now, so what if I break it. If I fix it I would be so proud.

Message sent from my stupid phone (Samsung) and delayed by US Cellular

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.