Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Model 669, 9mm semi-auto and managed to get to a shooting area yesterday.
I set up a few targets at different distances so that I could shoot thru a couple of different guns in succession to save some time. I set up targets at 50 yds for my .22 rifle, 25 yds for my .357, and 7 yds for my 9mm.
I started off with the .22 and I worked my way up to the 7 yard target set. I popped off the first round with the 9mm, and slicker than spit it cut a razor line slice across my thumb when the slide came back. I manged to put a really nice line across the inside of my thumb at the knuckle. I was told by a friend to be sure to keep my thumb out of the slide line, but I guess I forgot. It's hard to believe how quickly it happened and how painful it was when it happened. I certainly hope never to do it again. It's like the worst paper cut I've ever had, and on the knuckle it keeps splitting open ever time I go to grab anything. Just curious, have any of you made the same mistake? Have any of you done it more than once?
I'd never fired the 9mm so I wanted to start at 7 yds and work my way out to the 50 yd set if I did okay. I didn't make it out to the 50 yd. set. I did okay at 25 yds though. I managed to put 20 rounds on paper pretty quickly. It's really different than shooting my revolvers but I liked the way the 669 shot. I liked not having to reload so often too.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
You gotta watch them things, they'll shur nuff bite ya on both ends!! nfiofnp nfiofnp

Sorry I couldn't restrain myself!!!

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
What, no pictures? njgapjgj

·
Super Moderator
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if you want pictures of the slide cut or my pistolas.
You get to see the pistolas!

I just got these 3 this week - With my wife's permission of course.
A model 629-4, A Model 66-3, and Model 669.
That makes 6 in my collection of handguns so far - And all but 1 is a Smith.
It seems like a good start. I'm looking for a .22 revolver for next years addition.

My wife did tell me to put the "Gun Monster" away for a while though.
But, I still get to visit his best friend - "The Ammo Monster" for a while yet, so it's not too bad. As long as I keep my wife's Model 14 and her Marlin .22 rifle full, she doesn't seem to mind.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I sure hope you don't do it a second time... ;)

Chuck

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
This is the exact reason as to why I can't shoot PPK's, Sig P230's and pretty much any similar designed auto out there.

I shot a Glock 19 and 23 for a couple of years in IDPA and USPSA and would start bleeding in the first stage. I tried just about everything and eventually found this little widget that attached via the trigger housing pin that put the web of my hand a little farther down the backstrap. The thing was that I shot them fairly well, so I just put up with it - until my wife told me I was an idiot and should change to something else. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinkin', I'll just wrap my thumb with a couple of bandaids in advance, and the slide will cut thru them first. When they start turning Red I'll put on a couple of fresh ones to get sliced thru next. It will also cover the bleeding so it won't get too infected.
Seems inevitable that I'm going to do it again, doesn't it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
As an instructor since 1987, I would suggest that you change your grip and have both of your thumbs pointing forward. The thumb behind the slide is an invitation to a disaster as you have already discovered. You can get away with your grip on a revolver. Learn the thumbs forward and use it on ALL handguns.
Randy

·
Super Moderator
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The band-aid comment was a joke more than anything else.
As soon as I got sliced, I knew exactly what I did wrong and changed my grip accordingly.
Considering I shoot 4 different revolvers and 2 pistols I think I did pretty well with only 1 slice. I'm working really hard on good posture and good shooting techniques. Sometimes you gotta screw up a little bit - just once, to get back to the basics. The fine details take some time and I certainly hope I have much of that left in me.
Practice, practice, practice -shoot!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
growr said:
As an instructor since 1987, I would suggest that you change your grip and have both of your thumbs pointing forward. The thumb behind the slide is an invitation to a disaster as you have already discovered. You can get away with your grip on a revolver. Learn the thumbs forward and use it on ALL handguns.
Randy
This was a common response to a thread I started on the same exact subject a few years ago on another forum.

The fact is that some of us have a fairly "healthy" web in our shooting hand. And some of us have fairly "healthy" thumb knuckles. It's NOT a matter of crossing our support hand thumb over the top of the shooting hand wrist/thumb area.

There were a number of posters who made such comments as "you don't know how to shoot............ don't you know how to hold a gun?!................you must be an idiot to put your thumb over the other one............" and so on and so forth.

I can see how you may have made the mistake of thinking that we are not "using a proper grip", but I can assure you that we do. It's not a matter of using an improper grip. I have been shooting autos since 1984, a number of those years having been involved in IDPA and USPSA - I like to choke up nice and tight and some autos simply are not conducive to that type of grip for me as my hands are, well........... fat. ;)

I have found that if I'm simply shooting static (i.e., bullseye), there generally isn't a problem as one has time to get a nice, cozy grip. Shooting from the draw is a different matter. One is not able to afford the perfect grip on the draw each and every time the gun is drawn, but you gotta keep going anyway. Adjusting your grip while on the timer or in a bad situation will only take valuable time and a bad guy certainly isn't going to wait while you re-adjust after that fumbled draw.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
growr said:
Randy
+1 on this good advice!

You aren't clear on which thumb you sliced - the thumb on your strong hand or the other?

When a slide or hammer manages to nip me, it's always on the fleshy part of the web between the thumb and forefinger - never up on the thumb. That leads me to believe you are wrapping your "weak" thumb behind the slide and hammer - a definite NoNo!

On a recent post, I watched a vid clip of Jerry Miculek advising shooters to wrap that thumb around back when shooting J-frame revolvers for better control. JMO, but I believe that is very bad advice - for obvious reasons.

Several times at the range, I've watched know-it-alls instruct ladies to wrap that thumb around back - ostensibly for better support and control of recoil. Their hands are usually tiny enough to stay below trouble....but all it would take is one slice and she'll never touch another firearm. :|

xtm

·
Super Moderator
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm really not sure how I managed the slice on my thumb. I am left handed and I shot the first shot that way.
The slice is on my right thumb on the inside of the knuckle.
I guess I was wrapping my hand on the high side.
I'v tried numeruos times to repeat the grip to see where my thumb was so it was in the slide line & I can't figure out how my right hand was placed.
I can't repeat the position where my thumb is up that high.
If anything, I was wrapping my right hand over the top of my left hand on the grip.
I never hold any of my pistols or revolvers that way. So I'm not sure if I held it that way or not. I'm a bit puzzled.
I seem to be able to get close to that position when there is no pistol in my hand and I'm doing an "AIR" pistol position .... Kinda like an "AIR GUITAR", not with a real air pistol.

I'll tell you all one thing - I hope it never happens again. It's now 6 days and my thumb is still splitting open when I bend it. and it's still pretty tender. I'll really work on keeping my grip position correct from now on.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Some folks have meatier hands than others and will always have a problem with their thumbs getting in the way. You could try shooting with your thumb locked down (both down if two hands) and see if that helps. Otherwise, you'll have to switch to something with a longer grip so that you are not forced to place your hand so far up. That can make your grip sloppy, though. You might also try one of those rubber slip-ons with a palm swell. Sometimes that will change the way your hand sits on the grip just enough to eliminate the thumb contact.

There are some guns we just can't shoot because of our physical characteristics. You can always swap it off for a revolver. :)

David

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Hell fire boys!
It's to far from your heart to kill ya!

Really, you'll get over it...We all have sometime in the past and may again sometime later on.

If'n that were to happen in a fight for your life you would hardly even notice. ;)

Su Amigo,
Dave

·
Registered
110 Posts
When I first started getting into pistols, I had a very good friend and experienced shooter show me the ropes. After a few cowboy revolvers we switched to semi-autos. He showed me how to hold the PPK and after shooting one magazine he let me reload it and fire it again. I'm sure he noticed that I wrapped my weak hand too high behind the slide. One shot later and I had a nice slice on my hand on the web between my index finger and thumb. My friend John just said, "I showed you how to do that right, now you know why." Within the next hour, I had sliced my thumb with the slide on his 1911. Again John, "Pay attention to your grip, it is foundation to good shooting." Guess what, it hasn't happened in the five years since and I'm a pretty fair shot now.

I extend a special thanks to all of those mentors who helped all of us rookies learn how to shoot. And provide the bandaids. :D

·
Super Moderator
19,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Slide cuts hurt! You will get a kick out of this!

Didn't Forrest Gump 's Momma say "Stupid is what stupid does"

I did it again today, but with a different pistol this time.

I had a friends Colt commander .380 ACP fixed at my gunsmith and I just picked it up today. He gave me a magazine of ammo to test everything out (It was perfect as expected).
I went out back, settled in to shoot it and noticed that my thumb was up. I stopped, re-adjusted my grip and fired off a couple of rounds. I went back inside to pack it up and my Smith told me there were a couple more shots left in it and I should finish out the magazine.
So what did I do? I went right outside, fired off the next shot and clipped my other thumb on exactly the opposite side as before. I went back in and asked my Smith for a band-aid. He asked why I needed one, and I showed him.
He looked at me with a kind of stupid look and said "I saw you stop and adjust your grip, how did you do that? I responded with "I went back for those last shots and forgot to check my grip. Like a dummy I trimmed off my knuckle". . . . . . . He laughed!

I seriously need to slow down, be conscience of my grip, and work on it to make a good grip automatic. I'm going to practice for a few days with an empty pistol and see if I can get out of the bad habits, REAL QUICK!

Like Forrest Gumps Momma said..........."Stupid is what stupid does"

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Still no pictures of the thumb? njgapjgj
Not to worry about catching it from my end. I changed the Dillon 550 from 357 to 45 ACP and never changed the primer seating cup. Lost two primers before I cussed myself and changed it :oops:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts