Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I looked forward to every word Skeeter Skelton put down each month in the pages of Shooting Times magazine. When Skeeter convinced Smith & Wesson to come out with their Model 24 in stainless steel, I just had to have one. I found a 4" Model 624 .44 Special and snapped it up. I also got myself an El Paso Saddlery Threepersons crossdraw holster for it and I mailed a tracing of my right hand to Deacon Deason of Bear Hug Grips so he could make me a pair of custom birdseye maple "Skelton Style" handles to fit my hand.

My dad performed an action job on the stainless N-Frame and several years later I equpped it with a Weigand Combat sight on the rear, matched up with a McGivern gold bead up front. Then I decided to really make my double action revolver into a true "Skeeter Skelton Tribute" so I sent it off to Michael Gouse ( www.mtart.com ) for 75% coverage American Scroll with Skelton's "Bar-T" cattle brand on the back strap.

When the Lipsey's Exclusive .44 Special Blackhawk was announced, I just had to have one. Once the 4 5/8" single action was in my hands, I installed a set of Wolff springs and I had Cary C make a set of birdseye maple stocks to set it off just right ( www.clccustomgrips.com ).

Since this Blackhawk is the .44 Special Skeeter always said Ruger should make, I had to save my pennies to send the blued steel beauty off to Gouse. It just got back and it matches the S&W perfectly...as always, Gouse did a fantastic job!

I bought a 1950's silverware box on Ebay and refinished the wood and then refitted the inside to hold my pair of Skeeter Skelton tribute .44 Specials. It's been a long project, but I'm very satisfied with the results!

-Steve

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Doggonnnittt! Why'd you go and put out pictures of those beautiful guns!!! I really need one the new Ruger 44 Spls. and probably as set of those Birdseye maple grips. Dang I hope I don't have to sell something! Those revolvers, grips, and holsters are indeed very nice.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
A pair you can be proud of. Well done kfjdrfirii
invpn

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! Giz, coming from you, it's high praise as you have many a fine firearm! Both Skeeter and my dad are smiling, I'm sure!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
WOW, thats some pretty scratching!!! I also have both the Lipsey's and 624. Even though neither of mine have all that work, it was as with MM6 ,the same person drove me to get one of each.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Fantastic pics, as usual. Nice job on the silverware box. The leather compliments them both. Congrats! kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thank you very much for posting these photos. You have two of the most stunningly beautiful handguns I've ever seen. They are absolutely breathtaking!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
That is one fine pair of custom revolvers!

I'm just as impressed with your own work on the silverwear case as I am the firearms! What goes in the bottom drawer? What did you use under the satin material for the custom fit?

Someday, you need to take those two guns on a pilgrimage to the desert southwest haunts that Skeeter would write about in those great stories. (I can only imagine the wonderful photographs you'd come back with!) While I was never fortunate enough to meet that fine man, I was occasionally working and traveling out in that country when he was penning those tales for Shooting Times - and it was fun to see familiar places mentioned in the writing! Pretty sure I know where the cow-killer squibs skittered across the highway... ;)

xtm

·
Registered
619 Posts
lgnngp

Great Specials! Congrats and be sure to get some gunpowder on them. Thanks for telling us about them. I'll wipe down my Smith .44 Special in memory of Skeeter tonight after work.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
xtimberman: It was actually pretty easy. First I sanded down the entire outside of the box. I made sure I bought a box that was real wood and not just a veneer finish. This one was from the 1950's and cost me $29. Old silverware boxes are just about perfect for firearms presentation cases.

I tore out everything inside the top lid area. I was careful to gently pull the bottom drawer's liner out so it stayed in one piece. It was just felt covered cardboard that was glued in. There was simply a flat rectangular piece with four more pieces all attached that folded up and were glued to the inside walls of the drawer. I just recovered this cardboard with the blue material.

I cut a piece of pine to fit with a bit of wiggle room inside the top area. I traced my two guns with a sharp pencil, leaving a bit of wiggle room around the two guns as well. My brother-in-law has a power coping saw and he cut out the shapes of the revolvers in about 10 minutes. I could have done it by hand but it would have taken a few hours. I drilled the six holes to hold the .44 Special rounds.

I just covered the cut out with the blue material, stapling it on the back after wrapping it around. I left a bit of material at the edges to give some wrinkle to the look when the guns were put inside the box. I cut slits with a sharp knife for where the .44 cartridges push down into their holes.

I refinished the box's outside with several coats of Lin-Speed oil, sanding and 00 steel wooling between coats. I'm very happy with the results!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts