Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does someone happen to know how significant the size difference is between the cylinders on a 6 and 7 shot 686???

·
Registered
162 Posts
gendarme, I don't know this as a fact but here's what I believe. Since the frame size and cylinder "window" are the same with these models the cylinder size is the same as well, the cartridge charge holes are just closer together. The weight of the "standard" 6" 686 is 44oz. and the 6" 686 Plus is 43oz. Someone with first hand knowledge of both models will chime in. Best Regards...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks snafu...I was looking into ordering a holster for it from comptac, however they only show that they have the 6 shot 686. I'm just trying to make sure that I $80 on a holster that I'll have to modify once it gets here.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The factory S&W website lists holsters for L-frame revolvers with appropriate barrel length. Nothing listed separately for L-frame (686) Plus revolvers. Best Regards......

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
OK, I'm calling 'foul' on this one.
gendarme01, you are relativly new and I have not got used to your 'style' of writing yet. That will come in time.
I was expecting {wanting?} a good natured conversation about 'frame' sizes involving the first four letters of the alphabet.
Continue on with this one, I am getting to think I have been shorting myself by not having owned an L frame.
And like I was going to say before reading your post, "Were are the pictures"
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My fault. So I have an L-frame 686-6 plus (7 rounds instead of 6).

I have two holsters for it at the moment: a Don Hume #7 with a thumb break, and a Galco shoulder holster. About a month ago I ordered a belt from Beltman, and had them put the Velcro lining in it as I planed on getting an MTAC for my XD .45. I figured that when I ordered the MTAC, that I would order a C-TAC for the 686 as well. However, upon looking at their website it shows that they have one for the 6 shot version, and not the 7 shot. So, I was inquiring as a result if there was a difference in the dimensions on the cylinder of the two guns (6 vs. 7 shot) that would create an issue in the fit of the gun into the holster. I really do not enjoy having to get out the heat gun to reshape Kydex.

Sorry for the confusion in the first post. I looked at the wording and it didn't really come across as clear as I wanted it to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw one of those at the local shop the other day. I do like the hammer mounted firing pin over the new production models. Perhaps I have been lucky so far though, I have had mine for about a month and put almost 1000 rounds through it with only a few hiccups. I'm guessing that they have to do with this being my first revolver. However, I have not seen a 686 with the porting in the barrel like that. I'm guessing it makes it a little more enjoyable to shoot.

·
Registered
975 Posts
azmick said:
OK, I'm calling 'foul' on this one.
gendarme01, you are relativly new and I have not got used to your 'style' of writing yet. That will come in time.
I was expecting {wanting?} a good natured conversation about 'frame' sizes involving the first four letters of the alphabet. :mrgreen:
I somehow think Mick is talking A, B, C, D, and DD. My imagination may be reading between the lines. We will see if he mans up.
[email protected]

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
Sorry for the confusion in the first post. I looked at the wording and it didn't really come across as clear as I wanted it to.
The confusion was all mine, funny how one can read things depending on the mood :mrgreen: Good post gendarme, glad to see you jump in and post away kfjdrfirii

Sleeping it off? MMM, no

·
Registered
593 Posts
I would suggest a call to Comp-Tac to be sure.

I am 99.9% positive the cylinder diameter is the same for all L frames regardless of caliber or number of chambers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts