Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend was over yesterday to BS and so I could shot some pix of guns he wants to sell and we got into the discussion of single action practice with DA revolvers. Got me wondering .. if you don't hunt ... do you spend any time practicing single action with your Double action gun and if so .. what scenario do you see it being useful?

I have about 1500 rds through my GP100 and about another 800 through my 686 and I dont think I have fired single action 5 times.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
I have been shooting various firearms since I was 12 years old. I've bee shooting pistols since 1980. The overwhelming vast majority of rounds I've fired from handguns have been single-action. Simple reason why. I like hitting things I shoot at. From up close to right on out to the next zip code, I like hitting things. Single-action allows me to get the very best possible result on target.

Now when I am fooling around drawing and firing, etc., I shoot double-action. When preparing for a police type match I of course practice double-action. Over the years I've gotten where I can with care shoot double-action groups of around 3-4 inches using my beloved six inch 686. Using my four inch 15-4 or 66-2, groups are more around 4-5 inches. Back when I was doing a lot of double-action shooting, I could stay between 2-3 inches.

Mostly when I go to the range, I like to shoot at targets that are a bit far out. I like shooting at harrow blades, cans, etc. out in a cleared field. Hitting a harrow blade at 100 yds. with a revolver is fun. Any kind of decent .38 or .357 will do the job. In fact, I bought a little 18-3 in 2000 through which I have shot a [wheel barrow load of ammunition. Once you learn where to hold, that little revolver will really get things done way on out.

I will say, if you want to learn to shoot double-action, buy yourself a good .22 LR revolver. Shoot it a lot. Get to where you can hit using that .22LR revolver firing double-action and you'll find shooting double-action with just about any other revolver is almost second nature. About the same also for Glocks. Learning to shoot a revolver double-action will really make it easy to shoot Glocks well. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
19,970 Posts
I have so many single actions, I shoot my double actions DA. I do like the Single Actions as I can hit targets way out. DA more for some of the competitions I join.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
When I was shooting competition I would regularly practice single action at home. The 50 yard match in PPC I always shot SA. At home I would load my gun with my dummy rounds and put a penny on the front sight. If I pulled the trigger and the coin stayed then it was a good shot. If it fell then it wasn’t. Of course that exercise is only for flat front sights which my competition gun had.

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
Most of my shooting is SA whether it's a DA or SA revolver because, like Bruce, I like hitting things. In SA I can hit 4" clays on my 100 yard berm w/ most of my handguns, I've head shot rattlesnakes w/ a .22 on several occasions. They put the SA feature on DA guns for a reason. I also practice DA because when things go south it happens fast & pinpoint accuracy isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
I guess I fall more into your camp Boriqua, I rarely shoot my DA/SA revolvers in anything other than DA, but that's how I was taught. Well, not by my dad, he would always have me shoot his service revolver in SA when I was a kid, but when I graduated from High School, I was blessed with an academic scholarship to the local Junior College, Arizona Western, this was before I joined the Navy. Because I also was holding down a full time job and in order to keep my scholarship, I had to carry 12 credit hours minimum, meaning my first class started at 0600, work started at 0800 and ended at 1700, an hour off before I had a 2 hour night class. On my one day off (Tuesdays!), I had classes, all which were related to electronics and electronics math courses. However, my last semester I had an open spot for an elective, which a professor suggested I use for something fun, so I took "Combat Handgun Shooting", which was part of the LEO curriculum that was available. The instructors were former and current Law Enforcement members, one, an active Border Patrol Agent was then and had been for years a competitive revolver shooter. They taught us primarily to shoot Double Action, only drilling us in Single Action as a rare necessity. That training was also a reason why I can shoot reasonably well with my 'off hand', it was part of the drill in case your primary shooting hand was taken out of the game. I finished top in the class and for my reward, 4 months later I was in San Diego, Navy Boot Camp to be exact, not on Mission Beach where I had spent so many fun summers as a teenager, but realizing why the San Diego Chamber of Commerce had wisely not included my current 'vacation' surroundings in their travel brochures! ;)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I competed in PPC when I was in Law Enforcement. After a month or two, one of the top competitors watched me and after the first leg suggested I switch from SA to DA. Well, the next round plain sucked. I was a bit miffed until another top shooter mentioned that all of the winners in each class shot DA. I started watching and he was right. I started practicing and noticed my score improve. I started dry firing and next match I shot high enough to climb to the next classification. More practice got me into the winners circle. Eventually I got myself into the Governor’s 20. I never made it the top 10 but stayed in the 20 until I left LE.

I still shoot DA even when hunting. For me, it works.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Over 99% of the time I shoot my DA's, double action..........once in awhile, I'll pull the hammer back and take good aim..........but generally, double action is my style with plenty of double and triple taps.

Now my SA's, obviously have their own shooting style........and I frequently use them for longer distance shots.

The biggest part of my shooting is done with DA's in double action mode..

·
Super Moderator
34,476 Posts
We use both techniques here. As other point out better accuracy with single action plus it can be a good way to evaluate your double action shooting. If you can shoot a .38 Special, model 10, 15, etc for a good example and do it great single action then you are not flinching but if problems on double action you know you are not flinching so you can work on what the issue may be: grip issues, trigger control, using too much muscle and pulling the shot and go from there. For practice with one of the revolvers that gets carried it is mainly double action.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts