Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing the Speed Six thread, it got me to thinking about some other Ruger's I've owned. I bought a Ruger Security Six with a 4" barrel, had to put a rear blade sight on it, but for $300, it was a bargain! It resides with my Mexican-American stepson in my hometown. 5 years ago I found another, with a 6" barrel that is in really great shape. I shot it last year at an indoor range along with some similar 6" revolvers; a Smith Model 19-2, a Smith Model 10. a Smith Model 28-2 and Smith Model 27-2. Frankly the Ruger did just as good as the others putting 38 Special loads on a paper target, I didn't fire any .357 through them, I didn't have any to waste, still feeling the pinch then of a previous ammo run. The common denominator being my failing eyesight and shooting skills that have clearly diminished over the years, but I can still hit a large elephant walking within 30 ft if it agrees to walk by VERY SLOW! ;) One thing to add, the best shooter of all? The fixed sight Model 10. It gave me the best groups and just felt good in the hand, so she has no reason to hold her head in 'gun safe' shame knowing she sleeps with higher pedigreed Smith and Wessons, and a 'gasp', Ruger!

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
Very Nice Ruger. I have a bunch in SA and they are made great.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Even though I'm a dyed in the wool S&W fan, unlike many, I've never considered my DA Ruger revolvers as "also-rans" next to my S&W's.

As you've pointed out, they do a fine job of putting holes where you point them. A bit of tinkering and Wolff springs, and they can have just as nice (if not better) trigger pulls as a GASP, S&W.... there, I said it ;)

These are mine...

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
Seeing the Speed Six thread, it got me to thinking about some other Ruger's I've owned. I bought a Ruger Security Six with a 4" barrel, had to put a rear blade sight on it, but for $300, it was a bargain! It resides with my Mexican-American stepson in my hometown. 5 years ago I found another, with a 6" barrel that is in really great shape. I shot it last year at an indoor range along with some similar 6" revolvers; a Smith Model 19-2, a Smith Model 10. a Smith Model 28-2 and Smith Model 27-2. Frankly the Ruger did just as good as the others putting 38 Special loads on a paper target, I didn't fire any .357 through them, I didn't have any to waste, still feeling the pinch then of a previous ammo run. The common denominator being my failing eyesight and shooting skills that have clearly diminished over the years, but I can still hit a large elephant walking within 30 ft if it agrees to walk by VERY SLOW! ;) One thing to add, the best shooter of all? The fixed sight Model 10. It gave me the best groups and just felt good in the hand, so she has no reason to hold her head in 'gun safe' shame knowing she sleeps with higher pedigreed Smith and Wessons, and a 'gasp', Ruger!
View attachment 478825
That was my first handgun until it was stolen a few years later. Was my hunting and nightstand gun back in the 80s

1 - 11 of 11 Posts