Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1911 Springfield. I had a Millet front and rear sights put on 12 years ago. The smith milled the top of the slide to make it flat for the sight. A couple of weeks ago the stud cracked and the sight came off. Millet doesn't make them any more. Brownells had some and I bought 2. My new gunsmith installed one and after 50 rounds it cracked and came off. Now I'm thinking of silver soldering the other one. I've never silver soldered. Any recommendations? I cant switch mfgs as the rear sight is a Millet and the slide is milled.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
I silver soldered the sight on my son's stainless 1911 from the inside and kept the top on a wet rag. It turned out well but I wouldn't do it to another

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Are there any manufacturers making dovetail front sights that'll work with a Millett rear?

Just seems that at this rate, you've only got one front left and the way it's been going so far............. ;)

If there's enough material left on top of the slide, I'd recommend getting the front dovetailed and finding a sight that'll work (well, reverse that. ;) ).

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Tenon-type front sights on 1911s have to be staked before Silver-soldering and the excess ground off. This requires a staking tool. You can get one from either MidwayUSA or Brownell's.
However, if you stake it properly you won't need to silver-solder it.

You can fabricate a Staking tool by using a piece of 1" barstock 3" long. It needs to be cut back to 1/2" for half it's length. 1/2" from the bottom of the cutback part drill and tap a 3/8-16 hole. run a one-inch 3/8-16 capscrew into it until it reaches the backside. Round off the capscrew head and stake the backside with a centerpunch. you have to use it on a firm steel surface. Lay the slide upside down on it with sight installed, lay the staking tool on top of the Tenon and rap it smartly with a 12 oz Ballpeen. check it for movement. If the front sgight is tight, grind off what's left with a dremel or you can use a Rattail file.

·
Registered
197 Posts
trouble is ,some of the Millett type ( two holes drilled) and others with the dove tail "cut" into or across the top of the slide, screws it up to ever try and install the "original" tenon type blades......whole "new ball game" j;zn;

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Absolutely, I was assuming he was referring to a Tenon-type from his post. I much prefer the dovetail type. much easier to adjust windage and dress. The early Millets were a single-stud tenon type

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.