Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like lots of other folks, I have been doing a good bit of reloading to support my shooting habits. One of the powders that I have been working with is the Alliant Silhouette pistol powder along with the Russian made small pistol primers. In the 9mm and 38 special reloads I have had some failure to fire rounds where the primer will pop but the powder will not ignite. The pressure from the primer pop will launch the bullet into the end of the barrel where it will become lodged. A tool is then needed to knock out the stuck bullet. At first I thought it was just a batch of old powder but I opened a new can recently and have experienced the same problem. On one or two occasions the primer would go off and then a fraction of a second later the cartridge would experience a hangfire. The Ruski small pistol primers seem to work ok with other powder so I'm wondering if the primers are just too weak for the powder or? Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

·
Registered
18,429 Posts
Primer flame path and intensity is everything. Just because they go pop don't mean the pop is sufficient.

Silhouette, like Unique, is a hard to ignite propellant. Just don't do a double tap. It's hard on the barrel and possibly your face.

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
My friends and I have tried Russian primers and the results were terrible at best. Almost a 50% failure to fire in S&Ws and some semis. My Ruger SAs were only thing set them off. Some even had the primer punctured and failed. I would suspect the primer over the powder. I unique all the time with CCI, Federal, Remington. and S&B with no problems.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I use W231.

·
Registered
18,429 Posts
I use a bit of dirt on occasion

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
I used a case of Russian primers in 9 mm and 38 special without any problems, pre-Biden primers,

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
Well you have not told us what your bullet or powder charge is??

You absolutely 100% sure that you got enough powder in the case?

·
Registered
18,429 Posts
I've found a unique use for Unique. Makes dandy realistic coal piles for my HO train layout. Have at least 20 pounds of dirt on the shelf.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts