Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just looked at one at the local pawn shop. they sold it new and recently bought it back still unfired. box, mags etc, all there. feels great in my hands. i know it is of great quality by the name, but just wondered if anyone had experience with one of these. thanks in advance. lee

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yes,I had one for a little while. It wasn't particularly accurate. As I remember,the takedown was a little tricky,but I wouldn't consider that a problen since it's way simpler than a Ruger. Some of the internal parts looked like pot metal to me,not nearly the quality of their centerfire pistols almost as if it were outsourced to somebody else for manufacture.
Maybe it was. It functioned reliably but I wouldn't want another one. I traded it for something else.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I saw about 8 at our show here this past weekend. The average price seemed to be $300 but I don't know if it was new or used.

If it were me I'd get a Ciener top end for a 1911 and enjoy the 22 that way. I have two and have been very impressed!

(or the 22 unit for my Sig 220) kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I picked one up once....

Saw the plastic Safety Lever.....

And put it right back down again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had one, hated the trigger, not very accurate and very picky about ammo. Sold it after the first or second range session.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well,.............there's the answer to a question I hadn't gotten around to asking yet.
Thanks.
I wonder about Sig's 22 conversion units for the 226 & 220?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Joni,

I've shot the begeeezus out of Bruce Perkin's 226 .22 Conversion on a couple of occassions and it was super accurate and very reliable.

My two sons, myself, Bruce and Bruce's boy Ed burned up two bricks of Federal and Remington bulk pack, el cheapo ammo without a hitch.

Once they're broken in they work fine...

Drew

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks. I really appreciate the input on that.
I wonder which would be better, the conversion on my aluminum frame 226 or or a steel frame 220?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Lynnie,

Properly fit and well lubricated I don't think it will make much difference.... theoretically, two similar Aluminum Alloys (probably 700 series) will increase the chances of cross deposition and galling.

I think that I would be tempted to convert (or more properly "adapt") the gun that I carried most often to enhance your training routines...

Drew

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks. I don't carry either one of them so that's not an issue.
My guns are my first issue 226 Navy (without a rail) and a 220 Ernie Langdon Edition in stainless.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I know for a fact that BruceHMX's early 226 really likes the conversion kit. He had to tinker with it a bit with the help of SiG, and it was returned to them at least once before it really began to run well. Now it perks like a Maxwell House coffee commercial with just about everything we fed it.

Additionally, Bruce was able to get a replacement magazine follower that increased the capacity dramatically. Believe that came from an advertiser on the SiG Forum.

I think I'd be tempted to go with the 226.

Good Luck!

Drew

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks, after I get back to work and things have settled out I may have to adopt one of those units.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
No, I've no experience with the SIG Mosquito. I've looked at them at the local gun emporiums, but I'm not impressed. Not enough to buy one. I did, however, order a conversion unit for my SIG P-220. Haven't got it, yet. Y'all know how the mail is, right? Maybe sometime before Friday, this week. I'd sure love to give it a go this weekend.

·
Registered
217 Posts
After you've had the opportunity to try it out I'd appreciate reading your thoughts on it.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Good morning, Joni. Can do. I'll post my results A.S.A.P. I'm hoping it'll come in today. (He says with fingers crossed. ;) ) I also ordered, at the same time, a set of their aluminum grip panels - in the white. I got tired of waiting for the black anodized grips. That should provide an interesting contrast.

By the way, I'm glad your posting here. I missed you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks, I've missed you as well.

Shoot straight, shoot safe!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Hey, QC, I'll also be looking for your experience with the 220 conversion unit. If you don't mind my asking, how much the whole thing cost, including shipping?

Bill

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I bought it from the SIG store online at $375. I don't know what the shipping charges are. I guess I could look at the confirmation e-mail on my work e-mail account, but I hate that awful place. Those idiots I work for can't refrain from sending crap relating to work. Eeeeeew! Ick! I'm still on Spring break and I'll be damned if I'm gonna visit that site until I have to. When it comes in, I'll take a peek at the invoice and let you know.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Ah Jeez! I had just written a nice long post describing the conversion unit and when I hit the submit button I had to sign in again, losing the damned thing. Where's Giz, I wanna pitch a complaint?!

Anyway, it arrived today via FedEx. It was shipped on 23 March and arrived on 29 March. No shipping charges. Nicely made unit, one magazine, a sight adjusting tool and a small diameter hex wrench. I'll try it out this weekend. Stay tuned. I'll post in a separate thread. This is gonna be fun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts