Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 1942 issue M & P in .38 S & W, US Property marked all original, 5-inch barrel, for a Mint in the box 28-2 Highway Patrolman 4-inch barrel?

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the M & P right now.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
David,

That's a groaner.... The trade is close...... Much depends upon the details such as; Is the 28-2 and "S" or an "N" prefixed frame? What kind of condition is the M&P in? Is it a "V" Serial Numbered gun? Is it Polished Blue, Brushed Blue or Parkerized? Is it correct (stocks, lanyard ring and all) and all origional?

Unless the M&P were in Very Good-to-Excellent condition my inclination would be to make the trade I think. The .38 S&W (.38-200) chambered guns don't seem to bring the kind of money the .38 Special guns do....

A 4" "S" Frame 28-2 with Diamonds is heading for $500 maybe a little more if indeed NEW IN BOX. An "N" serialed gun would be about $50 or so less.

Drew

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sebago, this is my M & P

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
David, that's a hard call for me, I am relatively new to handguns and wouldn't give any up at this point because I am still building my collection, but I would keep the M&P.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Having seen the .38-200 M&P I am only firmer of my opinion. Lend-Lease 5" M&P's are not that tough to find and this one is far from mint....

Do you have any details about the 28?

Personally I would probably have made the trade already....

Drew

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have seen the M28. It doesn't even have a turn line in the cylinder. It has the box, the tools are there. The grips are original. It is about as mint as I can think of. It has the 4-inch barrel.

·
Administrator
8,194 Posts
David,

After thinking about it a while, I think I agree with Drew. But, it really just depends on what you want.

And, it sounds to me like you've already decided what you want.. :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm with Sebago Son on this one,
The trade would of already been done. Of course, I am rather fond of 4" N frames. Nib, that's sweet.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Sometimes I forget what a fine revolver those 4" Highway Patrolman revolvers are. I was visiting my dad last week and I got his out to look it over and wipe it down. It isn't NIB, but it's still mighty clean with just a little holster wear. The sales receipt was in the box...I paid $74.95 + tax for it at Carter's in Houston,Tx. in the early 1970s. S&W HPs weren't getting much respect back in those days! :lol:

Here's a photo of my Pop with his HP. He'll be 94 in a few months, but don't try to break into the house.

Hope you've already made that trade!

xtm

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd make the trade, but then I shoot all my guns - its a lot easier to feed the Model 28 than that .38 S&W (for me). I also like the Model 28 a lot, and I don't currently own one. Just my .02

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'm with Drew also. As much as I like old M&Ps, I like the 4" 28 more, especially when mint.

·
Super Moderator
11,069 Posts
at pics, XTM. Looks like your dad still has a pretty strong grip. I hope I am in that good a shape at his age. Heck, I hope I get to his age.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'd keep the M&P also. I have always thought the N frame makes a .357 way too heavy. Frank

1 - 20 of 23 Posts