Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the guys I hunt with, Jimmy, is an avid handgun shooter and shoots an an indoor range south of here a bit. He's been bugging me to bring my 460 down and shoot it indoors at this range. I'm hesitant about doing it because it's obnoxiously loud as in a cannon like report when discharged and I'm worried that the shooter in the next lane over, I might blow his eardrums out. I wear double hearing protection, it's that loud, borders in insane and the sound pressure can be felt as well.

Input please. Remember I don't ever shoot big bore guns indoors. Always outside on my private range. Typically, any weapon with a brake will be loud but this one is past loud.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
First will the range allow it??
What good is it to shoot 25 yards or whatever the indoor range is??

Second. it would be so totally rude and obnoxious to do so!

I shot mine at a Outdoor range and the sheer concussion of it about lifted the overhead "roof" it could be heard for miles.

voteno

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jimmy said they will. He said some guy had a Desert Eagle 50 AE there (I want one of them as well) so sounds like it's doable. Like I said, problem is the noise and the brake wash. I think Jimmy wants me to bring it and shoot it for 'effect' more than anything else. I'm hesitant to do that. it's really a 100+ yard wheelgun. Got it sighted at 100 already.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Note my avatar. ;)
I shoot mine at an indoor range all the time. (5 incher) It's a blast- in more ways than one. :-D

Reactions: Thewelshm

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Note my avatar. ;)
I shoot mine at an indoor range all the time. (5 incher) It's a blast- in more ways than one. :-D
Mine is a bit larger than yours....lol (not that, the gun....:D). Mine is the 14" barrel with a side blow brake. It's a huge revolver, just the way I like them, big and nasty. Shooting handloads mostly.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Mine is a bit larger than yours....lol (not that, the gun....:D). Mine is the 14" barrel with a side blow brake. It's a huge revolver, just the way I like them, big and nasty. Shooting handloads mostly.
You'll have fun- mind the "prop wash". kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
734 Posts
@SidecarFlip Having a lot of hearing loss, I am strongly suggesting that you not take that gun to an indoor range. That is a just plain nasty show-off thing which actually could do serious damage to others on the range, and I think you are a better person than that.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
First if you do take it to the range wear double ear plugs in the ear and full ear covers. Second make sure everybody in the range knows what you are shooting . so they have the option for double ear protection and or leaving. Third what is the point of shooting it on an indoor range at 75 feet. That Gun is a 100 yard shooter. Hunting gun.

Have fun enjoy your sport but be considerate of others . !!!

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Other than the show-off factor why? Tell Jimmy to shoot it outside @ your ranges if he wants to. Risking damage to other peoples ears is childish.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
1,660 Posts
A retired friend and I took our .454 Casull revolvers to our gun club early in the morning during the week. We were the only two on the entire gun club and wearing foam earplugs and electronic muffs. We were all the way at one end of the range. The ranges are open air with covered shooting areas. A young guy came in with a new .22 pistol and took the lane next to us instead of at the other end. He jumped, winced, and flinched every time we shot.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Indoor range where I shoot large bore handguns are to fired in separate rifle section with double ear protection . At a fancy range couple years ago a snob RO assigned me a end stall with a large gun being fired on the other side . The percussion blast off the wall was so bad I couldn't stand it , I gathered my gear went back to the desk got a refund and haven't been back .

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have shot my 500 S&W 3inch at our indoor range. I was shooting with no one else in the bay. I did have some rounds that weren’t full loads. It is hard for me to go to the outdoor range due to health issues so if I get to shoot it, it is at the indoor range.

·
Registered
9,086 Posts
I shoot my 500 in an indoor rifle range, which is separate from hand gun range.. The percussion knocked out the surveillance system, so I let all the range guys try it out...:) fun was had by all, I'm sure if one shot it in the gun range, there would be plenty of lanes available in minutes. Saying that a 44 with hot rounds is loud...

thewelshm

Reactions: sdismukes

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
click-BOOM! :p

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
First if you do take it to the range wear double ear plugs in the ear and full ear covers. Second make sure everybody in the range knows what you are shooting . so they have the option for double ear protection and or leaving. Third what is the point of shooting it on an indoor range at 75 feet. That Gun is a 100 yard shooter. Hunting gun.

Have fun enjoy your sport but be considerate of others . !!!
Even shooting my M29 at an outdoor range, the concussion is ... uhhh ... noticeable... I always tell the people in adjacent lanes I’m about to let loose with full-on (factory) .44 magnums. Usually they go “yeah yeah”. Then the first round goes off.

Usually both lanes adjacent to me are now 20’ behind me, sometimes 2 lanes over back out!! Folks are wondering why I need a cannon .... I don’t keep it up for long. A little recoil therapy goes a long ways.

I just cannot imagine what a 460 with brake or a 500. Magnum would be like!!

·
Registered
9,086 Posts
Even shooting my M29 at an outdoor range, the concussion is ... uhhh ... noticeable... I always tell the people in adjacent lanes I’m about to let loose with full-on (factory) .44 magnums. Usually they go “yeah yeah”. Then the first round goes off.

Usually both lanes adjacent to me are now 20’ behind me, sometimes 2 lanes over back out!! Folks are wondering why I need a cannon .... I don’t keep it up for long. A little recoil therapy goes a long ways.

I just cannot imagine what a 460 with brake or a 500. Magnum would be like!!
Can you speak up mate

:)

Thewelshm

·
Registered
4 Posts
The indoor range in Battle Creek mi has guns to rent and they have a 500S&W to shoot in their indoor range and if you’re in an indoor range shooting those around must understand they need to have eyes and ears on before entering the range part

·
Registered
9,086 Posts
I'd love to try out the .500 Magnum. I'm sure a half dozen shots of recoil is good for the nervous system, lol
Great for a flinch fix :)

thewelshm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts