Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at something for the wife, she wants a 12 ga. something. Was looking at Bass Pro Shops website, seems like they're damn near giving away shotguns right now. I can spend the dough on a Mossberg 500 or similar, but wanted to seek opinions on a couple in particular, Mossberg Maverick 88 Security and the Stoeger P3000, listing on sale right now at $119 and $149 respectively.....something I noticed right away was that the Mossberg was 7+1 out of the box. I also kind of like the pistol grip on the Stoeger for her, but wondering if I can obtain a mag extension tube for it (it's a 4+1). Also like the Stoeger for the 18.5 inch barrel, I think 20-24 might be a bit long for the wife. Was hoping I could get some knowledgeable buy-in from the crowd here, along the lines of a functionality review if anyone has experience with these. Thx in advance.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Shotguns (especially 12 ga.) are extremely hard to find right now, especially for HD. I picked up a Mossberg 590, 20" used and was VERY lucky to find one. The Mossberg 500 series, and the Remington 870 are the only two 12 ga. I have utmost confidence in for reliability, simplicity, and proven durability. Some of the new Mossberg 500's (Maverick series) are being made cheaper, by new manufacturer, and I'm not sure they are up to the old Mossberg standards, too. I would caution that a 12ga., for a woman, is quite a challenge to handle the recoil, and a shorter stock (youth size, or Hogue 12") is a must to get the LOP (length of pull) down to a manageable distance. I'm not that tall, myself, and the difference between a "standard" stock, at 14" LOP, vs. a youth or short LOP, at 12" is like night and day in properly holding the weapon, getting a good cheek weld, and reaching the slide to control and to re-cock.

Good luck.

·
Registered
18,769 Posts
We got the Mossberg for the kids when they moved out and is the 20". They yake them to the range and son and daughter both like them. 16 year old grandson even likes it. For the extra 3 shells do not think the extra 1.5 inch barrel will even matter. We have had them going on 10 years and no issues at all. Stoeger I only have a couple Coach Guns so no pump experience with them but the Coach guns do seem to be excellent quality. They too are about 10 years old.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
The Brass Pro website is basically a scam in its current circumstance. $327.99 and unavailable translates to $499.99 on the shelf in our local (Nashville) store. Ammo shelves largely empty, no handguns to speak of and long guns are full price.

I would ask you to consider the Remington 870 20 ga. Youth Model or one of the coach guns.20 ga. 3" #2 buck is not a sissy round.

·
Registered
15,512 Posts
The Maverick 88 is made by Mossberg using components made in Mexico with assembly in the US (IIRC, Texas). Basic utilitarian. If you add an extension, you make it that much heavier on the front end. Personally, I have no issue with 4+1; if you need more, add a side saddle to the receiver to keep the majority of the weight between the hands.

Buckshot is hard to find right now in most places, so do not rule out using something like #2 birdshot as a potential fill-in.
Whatever you wind up finding, your wife may need some stock adjustments so it fits her properly (or least closer) otherwise she might suffer from cheek slap and other results of poor fit.
Good luck!

Reactions: powrguy

·
Premium Member
11,620 Posts
I have a Mossberg 500 for home defense. Shortest legal factory barrel.

Simple, basic, effective.

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
Looking at something for the wife, she wants a 12 ga. something. Was looking at Bass Pro Shops website, seems like they're damn near giving away shotguns right now. I can spend the dough on a Mossberg 500 or similar, but wanted to seek opinions on a couple in particular, Mossberg Maverick 88 Security and the Stoeger P3000, listing on sale right now at $119 and $149 respectively.....something I noticed right away was that the Mossberg was 7+1 out of the box. I also kind of like the pistol grip on the Stoeger for her, but wondering if I can obtain a mag extension tube for it (it's a 4+1). Also like the Stoeger for the 18.5 inch barrel, I think 20-24 might be a bit long for the wife. Was hoping I could get some knowledgeable buy-in from the crowd here, along the lines of a functionality review if anyone has experience with these. Thx in advance.
Get her a smaller gun!!!

Light and short 12 gauges are murder for noise and recoil.

She'll need a shorter stock and a 20 gauge Remington 870 in a youth model would be perfect.

Consider buying used.

Reactions: powrguy
1 - 7 of 7 Posts