Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've stated since I closed my gunsmithing business & retired I only work on my own guns & for a few close friends. Then a couple weeks ago a lady whose been a family friend forever says "I need you to look @ a shotgun for me." I'm thinking oh brother another broken cheap POS pump like a Mossberg that has a qwazillion varieties & no interchangeable parts. Then she pulls this gun case out of her car that has holes in it big enough to throw a cat through. Inside is a black powder double barrel 12 gauge that's in 4 pieces :eek: & a lot of pieces missing (missing parts probably fell out the holes). She explains her brother loves this old gun & she'd like to have it put back together for a birthday present for him. It looks like it was in a saddle scabbard when a horse rolled on it, there's a couple of metal plates where someone tried to put the shattered stock back together. The locks are there & sort of functional & I explain this gun was probably around when Geronimo was & it would cost a fortune to actually make all the parts & restore it. Mrs. Injunbro pops up & says I probably have part in the shop to fix it & I explain these are all hand made & each part is unique to the gun. The lady then says it's ok to just make a wall hanger.... please???? Sigh.
20190218_113433.jpg Collection of broken gun parts. Missing: triggers, trigger guard, breechplate, tang, butt plate, nipple, barrel wedge & a lot of screws.
20190226_124352.jpg Starting gluing & doweling the stock back together instead of carving out a new one.
20190302_153534.jpg More gluing, doweling & filling.
20190304_164543(0).jpg Hand forging out some of the missing parts.
20190305_164816.jpg Pattern for the top of the butt plate made by scribbling over the inlay.
More pix in a minute.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
20190308_143253.jpg Butt plate. Had to be shaped w/ hammer/anvil & tools to fit the convex butt as well as shape & fit the inlaid top.
20190308_143605.jpg A whole lot of hammering, grinding, filing & fitting later it's in one piece again... only took about 5 hours.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
You done good bro. Real good. Over and above for an old friend.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Nice job. It must be nice to actually have skills and the time to use them! You're the lady's hero now.
I have an old hammer double that I believe needs a new hammer spring, but I'm afraid to take it apart for fear of demolishing something I can't repair. It will have to stay the way it is for now.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice job. It must be nice to actually have skills and the time to use them! You're the lady's hero now.
I have an old hammer double that I believe needs a new hammer spring, but I'm afraid to take it apart for fear of demolishing something I can't repair. It will have to stay the way it is for now.

Unless the spring is broken it can be re-tempered, if it is it could be used for a pattern.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Turned out very nice. I new you were serious when I saw the hammer. Amazing what a skilled man cn do with a hammer and anvil. When I was a kid I watched a man make iron shoes for a very large mule, impressive.

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
I'll be out your way in the fall and I have this old JC Higgins that was my Grandfather's and I'll really like to have it restored... all the parts are there btw:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts