Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My daughter has to move her flight so is now coming out in the end of April. She is intent on getting a gun for the home and I will take her out shooting with a bunch of different stuff and let her rent whatever she likes.

I dont know that she is looking to carry so I wanted her to try my shotgun. Thing is while I have plenty of ammo its all pretty stout 00buck and slugs for my 870.

My daughter isnt a princes and is physically strong but .. is there a cartridge you would recommend for someone trying a shotgun for the very first time? I only have the 12 guage.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
They make low recoil 12 gauge loads in all flavors, and out of a fixed breech shotgun for a newbie that is what i'd recommend. Not much better a weapon for a beginner to use and hit things with than a scattergun..;)

·
Premium Member
11,433 Posts
20 gauge or .410. You'll both have a ball.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Low recoil loads are a good idea but unless you think your are going to be assaulted by a rabbit or a goose I would go bigger than a .410 for home defense.

Reactions: Breakaway500

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
If you're stuck with the 12, pick up some upland bird loads. Just make sure of a tight shoulder weld and she'll be fine.

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
What action 12 gauge? Semi, pump, OU SS??

They make mini shells for single shot type.

If not bird shot and one of those slip on recoil pads

·
Banned
1,974 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone .. its a remington 870 so 12 guage pump ..

I am pretty sure somewhere in my ammo dump is a box of bird shot ... Have to go dig through and see as I might have blown it off at some point but I know i had some. I just want to give her a taste of how it feels and operates but I dont want to be the dolt who loads it up with shoulder stomping ammo and then she hates it. if she likes it .. Hmmm maybe a shorter mossberg for her for xmas. They have the youth model since she isnt very big or anything else with adjustable stock.

I will let her try a variety of handguns but I would like her to at least try my 870. I think I bought it when I was about 22yrs old. Been around here for a bit, still works like a dream

·
Registered
9,257 Posts
Go with some target loads; NEVER start someone new with buck shot - not if you want them to shoot again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I keep a 9mm on my nightstand always, but when I use to have to travel for work (retired now) I'd put my wife's 20 gauge with slugs in it by the bed for self defense. I always told if the sound of loading a slug into the chamber didn't make the intruder SH*P their pants she could easily shoot them 3 or 4 rooms away through the drywall walls.

My wife and both daughters shoot 308 rifles with scopes deer hunting and none of them ever complain about the recoil even when sighting in the guns. All 3 are smaller ladies and they all conceal carry also.

I think your daughter will be fine with a 12 gauge with a small game load. I would encourage her to CC and buy her a nice little gun and holster.

Just my 2 cents......

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
There is another thing about shotguns, fit. A youth model 20 ga. 870 fairly well fits my 5'4" tall wife. The distance from the trigger to the butt is called length of pull. The typical LOP is for an adult male. For lack of better advice (from me) measure from your crooked trigger finger to the crook of your elbow the subtract 0.5 to 1 inch and you are in range of a decent LOP.

Heavy loads and a poor fit will make for a bad experience. The 12 ga. part does not trouble me as much. My wife has two SXS 12 ga. gun fitted to her for the field. For the home however the 870 youth with its shorter barrel, a modified tube (in the shorter barrel) and 3" #2 Buck seems to offer a good solution. My wife is a competent wing shot today but 20 years ago we started with a Montgomery Wards Mossberg cut off a bit on both ends. Too long a stock is not a good idea. Heavy loads especially if out of a tight choke also not great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts