Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to get out to shoot. Been a long time on shooting my 1903.
Got to the range and seen I forgot the sandbags. So I just went a head and sat at the bench resting off elbows.......
She printed pretty good. 1st group printed right and adjusted left for last 3 shot group....
Now to find some powder and bullets. 馃槴

Registered
I have a Sporterized '03 that was my late Father's. In 2001 we had the sniper in DC. The story was he was shooting people at 100 yards with a .223 rifle. I was talking to my Mom about it and she asked if anybody could hit a man at 100 yards. I laughed and said "he's probably got a scope and is shooting from a rest". I said "I could hit a man at 100 yards with iron sights offhand".
I decided to see. I dug his rifle out of the safe and took some 1956 headstamped military ball ammo to the range. I fired 5 rounds offhand at 100 yards just to get used to the trigger. Then I changed the target and fired five more for record. I had one called flyer about 8 inches down at 5 o'clock. The other four were clustered around the bull in a group I could cover with my fist.:eek:
I was impressed with that accuracy.:cool:
Jim

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a Sporterized '03 that was my late Father's. In 2001 we had the sniper in DC. The story was he was shooting people at 100 yards with a .223 rifle. I was talking to my Mom about it and she asked if anybody could hit a man at 100 yards. I laughed and said "he's probably got a scope and is shooting from a rest". I said "I could hit a man at 100 yards with iron sights offhand".
I decided to see. I dug his rifle out of the safe and took some 1956 headstamped military ball ammo to the range. I fired 5 rounds offhand at 100 yards just to get used to the trigger. Then I changed the target and fired five more for record. I had one called flyer about 8 inches down at 5 o'clock. The other four were clustered around the bull in a group I could cover with my fist.:eek:
I was impressed with that accuracy.:cool:
Jim
Wow, fantastic shooting Jim. These Springfields are great rifles. I have this 1903 and two 1903a3s
Such a joy to shoot....

Registered
I have an 03A3. Smoothest bolt action I've ever touched. Very accurate as shown by your target.

Hector

Reactions: paulwv

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also have my Dad's '03 that is a low serial number, which means it's not double heat treated. I have read you can destroy it if you shoot it.
Not sure if believe that, what say you?
Jim
Yes, have read earlier production Springfield Recievers were not heat treated properly. I imagine you could go on line and found out the serial numbers of rifles involved. I would not shoot it till you find out.

Registered
Glad you got out to enjoy some range time. Great shooting with a fine rifle.

Reactions: paulwv
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.