Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At one point shortly after I acquired my 460V, I considered using shot-shells in it due to alot of rabid foxes in the area (we live in the county in a subdivision with overly large yards (approx 1 acre, which is too large, but that’s another story for another time and place . . .), but not in a town . . .), and was told that the shot-shell’s pellets wouldn’t interact well with the compensator at the end of the barrel. In fact, I was told that using shot-shells in the 460V could be dangerous to anyone near it when doing so. Well, if I did use shot-shells, I’d certainly be “in the vicinity”, so I dropped that idea forth wit. Now, I recently heard of someone who uses shot-shells in a 460 routinely. I tho’t it was in a non-460V, but that didn’t turn out to be the case – this person was using a 460V with the factory compensator, and shooting shot-shells thru it. I have 2 concerns – 1) shot-shell pellets fired in a rifled barrel will “halo” due their being subjected to spinning as they exit the barrel, and spread excessively at a relatively short distance; and 2) I still can’t wrap my head around the idea of the pellets hitting the inner-lip of the 460V’s compensator being a good idea for shooter and/or those nearby.

Comments/remarks/suggestions . . . . Thx.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Both your concerns are well grounded. Shot shells in any rifled pistol really kind of lose there efficiency in a very short distance ,,,,,,think 5 yards or less. Too close to let a potential rabid animal get.
I will add a third concern. Shot shells on a fox sized animal of any kind is not a humane kill . More than likely you will wound and lose them .
My two cent's says get a better tool for the job.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts