Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and was very pleased with it. Recoil was much milder than expected but, still stout. Shot twenty of the Federal factory 275 grain stuff(only ammo I could find). This is my first 500 and just had to try one. Glad I got the one without compensator, noise really hurts my ears, for some days after shooting. Doubt I'll ever need this but, in case I do, it's in the safe. Anybody else have one of these Performace Center pistols?
Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have one. It is a sweet gun. I don't care for the noise of my 4" comped gun. The weight is nearly identical at 57 oz., so if I make that Alaskan trip I can carry it in a holster. I also prefer a little roll on firing, rather than the straight push back. I find bicycle gloves make very nice shooting gloves for hard recoiling guns like this.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The more I shoot this thing, the more I like it! Very well designed and engineered handguns. JR did his work on this one. Illinois has a 4" barrel mimimum for a hunting handgun and not sure I'd get a free pass with the 4"(actually 3") gun? So, is anyone at S&W thinking before they manufacture these guns? Actual usability is very important for someone who spends $1400 ballpark.
Steve

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
No pictures? I don't like when people don't post pictures.

;)

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Thank you sir! hpzl;n;

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I really like the idea of a 5" half underlug barreled .500, but just cannot get past the "lug nut" on the end of the barrel. I know its there for a very functional reason, but I just can't do it! Ditto with them Performance Center guns with the "Buzz Lightyear" barrels. :lol:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lug nut beats the he** out of the noise the compensators put out?
Steve

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just realized something(this is my first ever IL gun) the cylinder thumb latch covers about 1/3 of the IL hole! Is this normal, are they all like this?
Steve

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Noise? what noise, when I was twenty, I figured only wimps wore ear muffs when shooting. Shooting my 44 magnum never bothered my ears. . .what's that you say?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Central Illinois, junction of I55 and Il.116. Ninety miles south of Chicago, 35 miles north of Bloomington Il.
Steve

·
Registered
315 Posts
image.jpeg

Mines not a performance center model but it's still lots o fun to shoot! The 500 grain bullets tend to have quite a bit more recoil than the lighter weight loadings!with muffs I don't find the noise from the compensated to be all that bad.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really like the idea of a 5" half underlug barreled .500, but just cannot get past the "lug nut" on the end of the barrel. I know its there for a very functional reason, but I just can't do it! Ditto with them Performance Center guns with the "Buzz Lightyear" barrels. :lol:
toroflow, I can't see the barrel nut while looking over the sights:eek:
Steve

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
View attachment 55493

Mines not a performance center model but it's still lots o fun to shoot! The 500 grain bullets tend to have quite a bit more recoil than the lighter weight loadings!with muffs I don't find the noise from the compensated to be all that bad.
Check my sig mate... Welcome..

thewelshm

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
The more I shoot this thing, the more I like it! Very well designed and engineered handguns. JR did his work on this one. Illinois has a 4" barrel mimimum for a hunting handgun and not sure I'd get a free pass with the 4"(actually 3") gun? So, is anyone at S&W thinking before they manufacture these guns? Actual usability is very important for someone who spends $1400 ballpark.
Steve
Seems to me that....... I would find out about the Laws on hunting in Illinois.......BEFORE I BOUGHT THE GUN!!!!! It's NOT S&W's responsibility. Afterall, it's YOUR $1400. ;) Bob

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
When firing large bore handguns and rifles double ear protection with plugs and muffs especially indoor range. No fun living with a high ring in your head
EXACTLY. My 460 is a eardrum blower. I've found that instead of wearing plugs and muffs at the same time however, Walkers Game ears work fine but the asking price is pretty high, 200 bucks. They are bluetooth and can be set with a smartphone. Best investment in hearing protection I ever made.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts