Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking of a conversion of my .357 Mtn Gun. I thought about having the barrel shortened to 3.5" or 3". It would be like a smaller model 27 in stainless with 7 shots. I would have to have it remarked somehow. I realize that the .357 Mtn Gun is hard to find and not that many around. I already have a 3" CS-1 and a 3" 66-2 so I don't really need it.

Who should do the work on it if I decide to do it?

Tom

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Marshal Tom said:
I have been thinking of a conversion of my .357 Mtn Gun. I thought about having the barrel shortened to 3.5" or 3". It would be like a smaller model 27 in stainless with 7 shots. I would have to have it remarked somehow. I realize that the .357 Mtn Gun is hard to find and not that many around. I already have a 3" CS-1 and a 3" 66-2 so I don't really need it.

Tom
I wouldn't spend the money to hack up a very collectible gun.... I don't see what's to be gained.... sell it and buy exactly what you want....

Drew

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sebago Son said:
[quote="Marshal Tom":t9uhweem]I have been thinking of a conversion of my .357 Mtn Gun. I thought about having the barrel shortened to 3.5" or 3". It would be like a smaller model 27 in stainless with 7 shots. I would have to have it remarked somehow. I realize that the .357 Mtn Gun is hard to find and not that many around. I already have a 3" CS-1 and a 3" 66-2 so I don't really need it.

Tom
I wouldn't spend the money to hack up a very collectible gun.... I don't see what's to be gained.... sell it and buy exactly what you want....

Drew[/quote:t9uhweem]
I gotta agree with Drew on this one!
There are plenty of folks that would love to pry that Mtn Gun off your hands.
WFR

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would never modify my 686 Mountain gun like that but here's an article by Dave Spaulding who did just that.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Marshal Tom said:
::: It would be like a smaller model 27 in stainless with 7 shots. ::: I already have a 3" 66-2 so I don't really need it. Tom
Being a fan of the 3 1/2" M27, I understand this thread. So, just to help out, I could buy that 3" M66 and then you would have a need. :mrgreen:

EDITED: One thing I meant to say, but didn't, is that IMO it is up to you. If you really want to customize that into a snub 7 shooter, then do it. The snub K frames are very special, as are the 3 1/2" N frames. For myself, I wouldn't expect a customized pistol to ever sell for the amount of money it cost.

Sounds like fun to me though (not my money being spent either).

·
Registered
464 Posts
Why would anyone want to hack up a perfectly desirable gun to make it into an undesirable gun except to one person? And all that for a diffference of .5 inch? Makes no sense. Besides you already have two 3" guns.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would not. Nice, pre lock 686 Mountain guns are scarce. Sell or trade it instead. Good luck! Regards 18DAI.

Edited to add: If you have any interest in trading it, PM me.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I have to side with those who say don't. I see little to gain in concealment and you should lose some velocity; the thing that makes a magnum a magnum. Leaving as is - is logical. However, whoever said
handgunners are logical? Sensible rational thoughts are easily, displaced by emotion or whim when it comes to guns, else why do I have more handguns than anyone needs?

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
Sell it........and buy what you really want!!! ;) Life is too short.....do things right....the first time!!! :lol: Bob

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I understand the interest in going through with the project. I have done it to others and actually had a gun or two that had started out life as pretty rare then was modified to something really cool, but, only to a few people.
If you can't find that certian someone that really wants the modified gun and is willing to pay fair value for it, all you have is a chopped up gun that was once a fairly collectable piece. As I say, "been there, done that" been stung once or twice and was able to sell one to a good buddy here that had been wanting the exact combo the gun had been turned into.

In the end its up to you but I've pretty much given up having custom work done on guns, you just don't get it back out if and when you ever go to sell.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
You are a wise man Chris.... I learned that lesson the hard way myself..... I just got lucky when I hooked up with you..... I found a life long friend and also someone who was willing to part with a Smith & Wesson 58-29-20!

·
Registered
9,504 Posts

This is the critter of which we speak; a limited edition of a stocking dealer special. A 7-shooter that has a nice double action out of the box. I find it a good companion as either a belt gun or in a shoulder holster when going exploring in the woods. It will stay as is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts