Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dang. I'm a new shooter. I read these posts from all shooters that have all this ammo stocked up. I'm jealous (not really) didn't realize how this last "Gun Pandemic" was going to affect everything. This is even worse than when there are mass shootings at schools, etc. Bought a box of 9mm at my local range today. $35. Is that the going rate, pretty much? Any places to buy ammo cheaper? I keep checking Cabelas and Midway, etc. OUT OF STOCK!

·
Registered
421 Posts
New Shooter.. Welcome aboard! The current state of ammo, is pretty bad, from what I have noticed.
It seems to be pretty bad everywhere, from what I have heard, and noticed. I live in a small town, and we did not see this until the last month or 6 weeks.
Now the shelves are empty, and its all in very short supply every place I have been.

I reload my own shells for everything I shoot, and cast my own bullets for everything, except my AR15, and specific hunting rounds. About all I buy loaded is 22 shells and my self defense ammo for my carry guns.

I used to pick up a couple hundred rounds of empty brass every time I went to the range, mostly 40 S&W, 9mm and .223, and a few others once in a while, but now, nothing most of the time. The sign in log book, shows that not many members are using the range. I think what ammo people have, they are saving, so that they have something.

Think about the reloading hobby... Its not going to be easy to get what you need for that either right now, but for the future it might be an option.
For us older shooters, a lot of us stocked up a few months ago, when it was available. Remember this happens a lot now, so you need to be ready when this is over, and stock up.
Sorry to hear of your woes, and I hope you find some ammo some where.

·
Registered
10,683 Posts
At the LGS yesterday I asked who I have to bribe to get some ammo. The manager says he can't even get any. Orders are going unfulfilled. He says the municipalities are getting priority and they're buying it all up.

I'm good for a while really since I stocked up late last year, but something's got to budge here or I'll have to cut back on range trips.

·
Registered
15,322 Posts
A year ago I could get a 100 round box of Federal 115 gr 9mm ammo for $15.97 at Walmart. Sounds like you are lucky to get 50 rounds for that these days. Glad I spent the last 7-8 years stocking up. Anyone want to trade 500 rounds of 9mm for a 3.5" model 27??

·
Premium Member
13,726 Posts
The prices are mainly due to current out of this world demand. If you're patient and don't try and accumulate too much, the prices will drop in time. It's unfortunately panic buying, and demand is far outstripping current supply. Distributors are shipping what arrives immediately. Manufacturers are delivering to their customers as quickly as they can load it. So far I'm not aware of component or powder shortages, but they are sure to be coming.

Just acquire enough for personal defense, and wait... Train with what you can obtain.

I've actually been selling some of my personal ammo to close friends because they are having trouble finding the common stuff. 9mm; .30-30 Winchester; 7.62x39 AK... That and I'm loading my own for my own training.

I just paid $1 a round for .300 AAC Blackout directly from SIG, and it sold out in 24 hours. This is a round that was selling for 40 cents each a few months ago.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
SG Ammo. IIRC they had bulk deals in 9mm of you get on the mailing list.

Seems they're out of everything. 😱

Underwood too!

I guess I have to second the above and say try Ammoseek.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
So far I'm not aware of component or powder shortages, but they are sure to be coming.

I just got up to catching up on my 45acp and 45 colt loading and discovered I was down to my last two boxes of large pistol primers. Those puppies seem to be as scarce as unicorn horns, hens teeth, an as-new-in-box model 27-0 revolvers! So, I’ll hunker down and try to stretch it to survive the autumn match season and hope that one of my “notify me” requests will come through.
bullets? Fine. Brass? No problem. Powders? Well stocked. Lack of primers can make all those useless!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The prices are mainly due to current out of this world demand. If you're patient and don't try and accumulate too much, the prices will drop in time. It's unfortunately panic buying, and demand is far outstripping current supply. Distributors are shipping what arrives immediately. Manufacturers are delivering to their customers as quickly as they can load it. So far I'm not aware of component or powder shortages, but they are sure to be coming.

Just acquire enough for personal defense, and wait... Train with what you can obtain.

I've actually been selling some of my personal ammo to close friends because they are having trouble finding the common stuff. 9mm; .30-30 Winchester; 7.62x39 AK... That and I'm loading my own for my own training.

I just paid $1 a round for .300 AAC Blackout directly from SIG, and it sold out in 24 hours. This is a round that was selling for 40 cents each a few months ago.
I guess I should have invested in ammo instead of toilet paper! 200 rolls of Charmin and no ammo! (Just kidding).

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you have a local academy sports, find out what day they get their deliveries. The one 50 miles from me gets deliveries Monday Wednesday and Friday but if you're not there when they open at 9am you won't get any. Today all they had was 9mm and some 7.62x39. Limit 3 boxes of 9mm, 223/556 and 22, total limit 5 boxes per customer. The Winchester white box 9mm fmj were $12/box of 50. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
My friends and I are still trying to get out to shoot once a week, but way fewer rounds per session. The last two times, I took only .22lr semi autos. I have a lot more of that than I do .380 which is my "main gun" caliber.

Most places that took back orders aren't even doing that anymore. I sure WISH I had bought extra cases of .380 (for me) and 9mm (for him) a few months ago when dear hubby mentioned getting more! He's OK with his other calibers so far, but is having to cut back on shooting 9mm "for fun." Even the weekly competition group is cutting way back on the number of rounds per course of fire, and about 1/3 of those guys are not showing up anymore (a few because of being immuno-suppressed, with COVID still around).

·
Registered
15,322 Posts
So far I'm not aware of component or powder shortages, but they are sure to be coming.
Around here components have dried up. Primers, & powder are pretty much gone. I have enough in loaded ammo and components for about 2 years worth of shooting at my current rate of 300-350 rounds per month. I bought 2000 small pistol primers back in late February to add to what I have, and found 1000 small pistol magnum primers a couple weeks ago locally

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
The government is buying up all the ammo to keep it away from patriots. George Soros and Obama are behind it. The Dark Side Deep State is working overtime now.

Evil is close at hand.

War is inevitable and coming fast.

Luckily, I stocked up after the last famine.

I have drained my indoor swimming pool and filled it up to the brim with ammo.

I lost count somewhere after 43 billion rounds.

There's nothing like getting naked and rolling around in a huge pool of ammo. I love the clicking and clinking sound of bright brass and JHP rounds hitting each other.

:D

·
Premium Member
13,726 Posts
So, as with many things, emotions get expensive... planning and preparation (including carefully buying and stocking ammo) will save you over time. We'll be in another period soon where demand has dissipated, and manufacturers catch up. Prices do rise over time, but not that much due to the actual cost of components and labor. A $7 box of 9mm ball ammo in 1995 was about $10-$12 in 2019. Now it's double that. 14 cents a round to 20 cents a round in a normal market, but 40 cents a round in a panic market...

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I'm still stocking up with reloading bullets, but usually have to backorder and wait my turn. Nobody knows what the future holds, and I'd much rather have enough components to fill in any gaps if the shortages become permanent. My desire is to have enough components that equal or exceed my stock of loaded rounds. Not there yet.

·
Premium Member
13,726 Posts
Makes you laugh now when you see the media accuse people of having "arsenals" at home for having 1,000 rounds in their personal stock...

All the "evil" in those little boxes...

·
Super Moderator
35,641 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

It is a buy what you find when you can find. There are many sites online to buy ammo, but 9mm is one that can be harder to find. Good luck with it. It is one of the things here where I am glad we both like and have a number of .40 caliber pistols. At least you can find something to shoot through them.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

It is a buy what you find when you can find. There are many sites online to buy ammo, but 9mm is one that can be harder to find. Good luck with it. It is one of the things here where I am glad we both like and have a number of .40 caliber pistols. At least you can find something to shoot through them.
On one of the forums I visit it was just a couple of years ago that the subject of reloading 9mm came up, and several people said they didn't even pick up the brass, much less reload them - excuse being that "9mm was everywhere, shelves overflowing, and the prices were as cheap, or less, than reloading them. I gladly picked up their brass and continued loading.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts