Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found a 25-20 Savage Sporter that I could afford. The old rifle was made around the mid 20s.
It's not been been d&t or messed with. The story is new factory ammo won't chamber.in it. I had 11 rounds of old ??? ammo a friend had given me. My new Win ammo nor my reloads will not
chamber in the rifle. The old ammo chambered 10 out of 11.
Now before you start, I've cleaned brushed and polished the chamber and still no luck. I took a piece of sized brass and marked it at the shoulder. After I tried to chamber it there was a ring around it at the top of the shoulder.
The ? Is did the standard for 25-20 change after 1925. Has it always had a short chamber. Anyway I think I need to set the shoulder back more. My theory is to save my RCBS die set, buy a Lee die and take some off the base of the die till it works.
Anyone care to offer a theory or advice.
Cliff

·
Registered
17,213 Posts
Not being familiar at all with the cartridge, is this a straight wall or bottleneck? If it's a straight wall, trim it back, if a bottleneck and the barrel screws in, open the barrel up (increase headspace) to fit the case. Trimming the bottom of a die on a bottleneck die will only cause the shoulder to get bumped back more, will not shorten the case at all.

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Daryl, thanks for the reply. Bumping the shoulder back is exactly what I need to do. The brass is shorter than the trim length listed in my books. The sized and lubed brass will not chamber. The space between the rim and the end or the barrel is 1/64th or more. I tried to get a measurement from the back of the rim to the line left on the magic marker on the shoulder. It was several like maybe 20 thousands long.
Cliff

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
There are 2 different 25/20 cartridges the 25/20 SINGLE SHOT and the 25/20 Winchester. The 25/20 single shot is longer than the 25/20 Winchester and the Winchester round has a larger rim and is considerably larger up to the bottleneck. Is your rifle for chambered for the 25/20 Winchester or 25/20 S S?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim, as far as I know the savage sporter was only chambered in 25-20 win. The old Stevens 25-20 single shot was used in a bunch of mod 44 Stevens. 3 in round and a 2 in mag can't get mixed up. Here is a pic of an old 25-20 factory round and a new once fired brass that was sized with my RCBS die.You can see where the brass bumps at the top of the shoulder.
IMO the old gun was chambered like this originally.
Cliff
image.jpeg

·
Registered
17,213 Posts
Cliff. I'm going to tell you something that isn't recommended but... If you are planning on bumping the shoulders back that far, you'll need to anneal the case through the shoulder or the shoulders will crack. Pretty much a no-no but you can overcome the annealed shoulder by loading light a few times to workharden the shoulder back to proper tension. Too bad you are so far away, if you were closer I'd help you with it. I have all the necessary tools here.

Instead of magic marker you need to use Prussian blue and yes, grind the bottom off a die about 20 thou. What you really need is someone with a surface grinder that can gauge the die and remove the base and keep it square. if you jig it in a surface grinder, everything stays square and you can take off exactly what you need to remove to achieve the required bump. In fact if can determine the required dimension and you send me the die, I'll jig ir in my surface grinder and remove the material you require. Hows that? I'll even grind the new entrance chamfer in the end.

Reactions: Cliff and StrawHat

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Kevin, I was thinking about the reamer idea and decided ti leave
the old rifle original. With my luck something would have messed up. I had ordered a new set of Lee dies that arrived today. Only problem was they had turned into 25-06 before they got here. So I took a little off the base of my RCBS die. Works great in the little rifle.
Cliff

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kevin, the rifle to fit the dies idea made sense to me. Not to the wife, she sent the dies back.
Cliff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts