Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Shooting s&w sd9 low?????

45K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  jonesy814 
#1 ·
I recently bought an S&W SD9 - I have put just under 300 rounds thru it and I am consistently shooting down and left. I’m off about 3” when shooting @ 15 yards and can hardly hit the 6” target at 20 yards. I am using Winchester 115 gr. FMJ. I don’t think it should be necessary to adjust my POA to hit the target. Is there something I’m doing wrong or have there been complaints of these guns shooting low? Do I need to return the gun or move to a different grain bullet? I am dead on when shooting my brother-in-laws XDm 9, and he is shooting low as well with my SD 9. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

#3 ·
You might want to talk to the customer service dept and find out what bullet weight your pistol was measured to shoot.
Most manufactures have different front & rear sights they make available to adjust your POI/POA. I think S&W does as well. If they do, ask them to send you a new sight set that will adjust you POA by 3" higher. If you need to buy them it should only run around $20 to get a new set. My wifes Walther PPS was shooting about 2" low. I called S&S/Walther and they sent me out a new front sight that was shorter. Now we're on center every time.

I wish you a successful journey in getting this resolved.
~gearchecker~

#4 ·
If I had this issue I would do two things:
1. Fire the handgun from a bench-rest using a couple of different brand/weight cartridges in three to five shot groups. Record the information and compare the results.
2. If the P.O.A. is off save the targets, call Smith and send them the gun along with the targets and have them make it right.
I am not doubting your shooting abilities, this just takes as much of the "Human Error" as possible, it will also give S&W a start reference.
They may want to know how you are aiming. Apple on a fence post, or covering the P.O.A. with the front blade. You can correct the windage (left or right) with the rear sight, but elevation is pretty much non-adjustable.
If this is going to be used as a personal protection piece, you don't have time to remember "Shoots Low Left, Aim High Right"

Reactions: 1av8r and Waidmann
#5 · (Edited)
I totally agree - when it comes to personal protection, there's no time to think where you need to move the gun to hit the taget. My gun has fixed sights (both front and rear) so I can't even adjust anything...
In my case, several shooters reported exactly the same problem - shooting high and to the left so it's gotta be something they messed up. And, yes, I was shooting from a bench rest just like you're supposed to when trying to resolve this kind of stuff.

#6 · (Edited)
On the S&W website I looked up the owners manual, the front sights appear to be interchangable although the owners manual doesnt state it as fact, and the rear sight is designed to adjust for windage. The front sight appears to be the same design as what's on my Sig P238. and it's interchangable too.
If it's shooting low a shorter front sight blade will resolve nearly all of the issue.
Call customer service and ask them for a front sight 2 numbers lower than what is put on it as standard.

I certainly don't have all the answers, but I'll give you a couple ideas.
If all else fails and there's no other resolve, order a replacement front blade of the same height and trim it about 3/32" off the top and repaint the front sight.
ADDED NOTE: If the sights are Tritium I don't know that you're going to find a shorter front sight.
You'll need a drift punch to remove the front blade to exchange it. Looking from the back of the pistol you'll need to tap out the front sight from the [rt to lft] INCORRECT STATEMENT, they go out Left to Right.
It has a very slight wedge shape to keep it tight once it's in place.

It doesn't sound like there's going to be an overnight or simple fix to this for you.
I certainly hope you can get it resolved to your satisfaction quickly. Best wishes,
~gearchecker~

#7 ·
On the S&W website I looked up the owners manual, the front sights appear to be interchangable although the owners manual doesnt state it as fact, and the rear sight is designed to adjust for windage. The front sight appears to be the same design as what's on my Sig P238. and it's interchangable too.
If it's shooting low a shorter front sight blade will resolve nearly all of the issue.
Call customer service and ask them for a front sight 2 numbers lower than what is put on it as standard.

If all else fails and there's no other resolve, order a replacement front blade of the same height and trim it about 3/32" off the top and repaint the front sight.
You'll need a drift punch to remove the front blade to exchange it. Looking from the back of the pistol you'll need to tap out the front sight from the right to the left. It has a very slight wedge shape to keep it tight once it's in place.

It doesn't sound like there's going to be an overnight or simple fix to this for you.
I certainly hope you can get it resolved to your satisfaction quickly. Best wishes,
~gearchecker~
If I am not mistaken the SD9 comes standard with a Tritium Night Sight on the front, not sure if they come in different heights. Is the front sight different, because on the M&P the rear sight comes out from the left to the right. (when looking at the rear of the slide) Not doubting, just checking.

#8 · (Edited)
My bad...Left to Right.
I'll correct my post. Sorry bout' that.
Just trying to throw out some ideas based on the issues I've dealt with concerning my pistols with similar problems.
From all that's being discussed, is he going to end up with different bullet weights and powder loads to help raise the POI ??

#10 ·
One of my best friends and I bought one of these each. He wanted his first carry gun, and I thought the SD9 would be a good replacement for my Sigma. We both have consistent issues with these guns shooting low and left. I am an MP with years of pistol experience and up until the SD9 never would have thought it a feat to hit center mass at 10 yards. Using a bench rest did little to help. Personally, I have found nothing but inconsistencies with the weapons performance. At least I could hit what I was aiming at with the Sigma. Even with the rear sight adjusted, it just never hits where I intend it to; which, for a pistol named "Self Defense 9" is more than a little concerning. I am very interested to see how this pans out, but for now I'll stick with my Beretta 92.

Cheers, and best of luck Kohawk01

#12 ·
Are you shooting with right or left hand? If right it would indicate jerking the trigger. If left is would be tightening grip as you pull trigger. I wouldn't assume it's the gun not that it couldn't be but it's usually not. Both Sigma's and SD's have long heavy triggers, granted the SD's aren't AS bad as the Sigmas. Going from an XD which has a very light smooth trigger to an SD would be consistent with your problem. Before I lighted the trigger on my Sigma if I didn't shoot it for a while (I also have a M&P and a Glock). then shot the Sigma I'd do terrible with it the first 10 or so rds. Since the trigger is lightened its no longer an issue. Easy way to test it is next time at the range grab a revolver and shoot it DA, see where they go.

#14 ·
Hi, I have the same problem with my SD9. I literally have to aim pretty high above and just a little to the side of the target in order to be even close to where I want the bullet to hit and even like that, the bullet STILL hits lower than the spot i'm trying to hit. I also noticed the front sight is more towards the right than to the left. I normally use Winchester 115 gr fmj, Anyone have any other recommendations or updates on this? Also the slide failed to stay back after the last bullet this last time I took it to the range. I heard it could be a mag spring problem though. Pretty disappointed in that. The only thing I do like is the trigger pull and that I've put at least 300 rnds through it and not a single jam.

#15 ·
I have both a M&P 40c and an M&P 40 Pro Series, I too was shooting low with both. I could not figure out why. I shot both Winchester Range and Target and my own Reloads. 165 grain bullet in both. After doing some reading I found out that I might be flinching and pushing out. I at first did not believe I was doing this because I do not have any issues with my revolvers. (686 6" and Pre Model 28 4") Well to help prove it to myself I loaded 6 Dummy Rounds (no powder or primer) I would load 2 magazines putting two or three dummy rounds in each randomly. Mix up magazines and shoot. I was surprised just how much I was pushing anticipating the recoil. Well after doing this 6 or 7 times I was able to correct this and my shots were now going where I aimed them.

#16 ·
"I was surprised just how much I was pushing anticipating the recoil"

I listened to your advice and today I went back to the range to and used the arm rest when I shot. Let me say that worked way better for me. Below 20 yards the bullet hit pretty much where I aimed. At 20 yards and up, I did have to aim just a little bit above where I wanted the bullet to hit, but I did notice a major difference from when I was shooting standing up without any support.

#17 ·
SD9 Low and Left

This usually indicates milking (squeezing) the grip or stabbing (jerking) the trigger.
I just bought a SD40. The recoil scares me; so until I get used to it, every round is low and left.
My S&W22A and CZ P07 9mm are spot on. No recoil issues with these guns. So I think the low and left is operator problem.

What do I know, only what works for me.

#18 ·
I just recently purchased the Smith and Wesson SD9 VE. I was shooting, from 7 yards, low and left and realized I was jerking the trigger. With this heavy trigger it can be easily jerked. I slowed down and just squeezed the trigger and shot much better.

I just installed the Apex Tactical spring kit and works even better(dropped trigger pull down to 5lbs.). The trigger is a lot easier to pull now and helps me from jerking so much. Just have to learn to squeeze the trigger and not jerk it.

The recoil is real nice on this pistol. I am so used to shooting larger caliber pistols, this 9mm does not bother me. I might save some money up and get the SD40 VE now.

#23 ·
I had the same problem when I got my SD9 in January. However, I noticed I was also doing it with my other handguns so I figured it was me and not the gun. I went to Youtube and searched for shooting low and left and found pages of suggestions. There are two reasons for the problem (kinda 3). It has to do with grip, trigger pull and shooting with only one eye open. When you hold the gun, use both hands. You push with the right hand and pull with the left to make the gum more steady. You place the trigger in the middle of your first finger's end and not near the joint. You pull slowly straight back until it fires. Shooting with both eyes helps me a lot (and it is hard for me to do since I have been closing one eye for 55+years). It is a learning process but I am glad the problem is me and not the sights.

#24 ·
Today was the first time we took my wife's new SD9 to the range. She is an excellent shot and had a tight group low left (7 o'clock) with the first three magazines. I fired two magazines and consistently hit the same area. A friend of ours fired another magazine with all rounds at 7 o'clock. I am pretty sure that this is the weapon and not the marksman or ammo.

#28 · (Edited)
Nobody talking about POA, POI and bullet weight ?
EVERY 9mm I have shoots low with 125 gr bullets. Zippy but low. Try some 147 gr and they pop right up to where they are supposed to be. I mostly shoot a hard cast 147 and they do hit things Hard!

Reactions: Wiregrassguy
#29 ·
First off I am not an expert/professional shooter, but I am not that bad either. I recognize and accept the idea that some guns perform better with certain ammo (manufacturer recommended). However, I find it hard to accept that using any standard 9mm regardless of grain should result in 3"-4" off target. My new SDVE9 has a high Vis sight that was one factor for me to select the gun. But it shoots 3"-4" low and off center. A gunsmith tried and got similar result based on bench shooting (to eliminate human error). I took my gun to one of the main chain stores where I had bought it. They sent it to S&W for repair (adjustment). I got my gun back yesterday and tried it at the range today. Unfortunately it was still shooting low and off center. I intend to call S&W support tomorrow to see what they suggest. I am ok if they send me a replacement sight that would fix the issue. But cannot live with this condition and am willing to give S&W only one more chance to fix it. I like S&W brand and have a Shield 9mm that I love and it shoots very accurately. Based on numerous report of sight issues with SDVE9 in this page I am very disappointed with my new gun. Good luck to all of us who experience this problem with this gun.

#30 ·
My Shield shoots 2 inches low at 15-20 feet with 115gr ammo. Shooting 124gr puts them right in there. With my Shield you have to use a Combat sight picture, which is with the front sight white dot on the bullseye, not the bullseye sitting on top of the front sight. Since the SD line is made by the same company and is designed for defensive use, maybe it also uses the Combat sight picture and heavier bullets will impact higher than light ones

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.