Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a gallon of paint, inside a larger pail, encased in concrete. The concrete holds most of the energy from escaping outward and forces it upward. I make a lot of concrete targets and let them set-up for a year before shooting them.

I've included the full length video and the short, SLO_MO version.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
19,465 Posts
I prefer shooting defunct computers myself. Put a bullseye on the hard drive and blast them with one of my 30 cals at 200 yards. Just did a cell phone at 100 with my 308. No info can ever be mined from a blasted hard drive. That and tossing empty aerosol cans in the burn pile. Tried an empty propane cylinder once but it didn't go bang. The valve melted out and that was it. I was hoping for a 'mortar like' explosion.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The first time I saw the effect of hydrostatic shock was by accident. I was about 16 and had just acquired my first high powered rifle, a straight-pull Ross military rifle in .30-40 Krag. We lived at the edge of town and all I had to do was walk south across the road and I was in a field suitable for shooting.

This was to be the the gun's maiden voyage under my ownership and all I had for a target was an empty, one-gallon metal antifreeze can. My ammo was W-W .30-40 180 grain soft points, not military FMJ. (It makes a difference.)

The wind kept blowing the can over before I could shoot it, so I took it back to the house, filled it with water, carried it back to the field, set it in place, walked back about 25 yards, took aim and fired.

I was not expecting what happened to the target can. I was expecting the can to last several shots with one, maybe two, .30 caliber holes to be poked in the can each time, with water leaking out (like on TV). What actually happened was the can literally exploded with the first shot, with both ends blown off and the body of the can ironed out nearly flat with a single bullet hole in it. The can had ruptured before the bullet could reach the far side of the can.

So it was a one-and-done maiden voyage. I picked up my now 3-piece can and went home with 19 rounds remaining.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts