Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, everyone. I'm a new member who just joined last night. I love shooting and my guns work to earn their keep, though I have started to accumulate some safe queens (to my own surprise). Then there are those that are (for me) somewhere in the middle of the shooter/safe queen spectrum. I like to shoot this 1973 Model 27-2 3 1/2" (which is accompanied by an original display case). It does have a modest turn line and some hairline scratches in the finish from past owners' cleanings, but a part of me feels guilty shooting it--like an internal register that counts rounds thinking about the gradual wear over time. It reduces the enjoyment of shooting a little bit. Does anyone else suffer from this? I'd be interested in your vote for this gun:

a) Shoot rarely and sparingly
b) Shoot regularly with gentle care
c) Just shoot and have fun--don't worry about it

To be clear, I treat even my lower grade shooters with respect and care. There are degrees along the spectrum, though. All opinions most welcome!

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
It has a turn line. Shoot it. Range time does not destroy guns.

FWIW, I shoot all my guns, including this.

·
Registered
573 Posts
You have a beautiful 27, no doubt! Personally, I see a firearm as a tool to be used! Only say’n, if I weren’t gonna use it.....I wouldn’t have bought it! But, that’s just me! memtb

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
That's a very nice (and valuable) gun in very nice condition. (y) I know that I'd sure be careful with it. But dear old dad proved to me long ago that you can use a high quality gun a whole lot and still keep it pretty darn nice. I wouldn't limit myself, but I'd want to keep it in top shape for sure. It's a pride of ownership thang with me. :)

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I believe I am merely the current caretaker of my guns. I care for them and shoot them as much as life permits.

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
Hi, everyone. I'm a new member who just joined last night. I love shooting and my guns work to earn their keep, though I have started to accumulate some safe queens (to my own surprise). Then there are those that are (for me) somewhere in the middle of the shooter/safe queen spectrum. I like to shoot this 1973 Model 27-2 3 1/2" (which is accompanied by an original display case). It does have a modest turn line and some hairline scratches in the finish from past owners' cleanings, but a part of me feels guilty shooting it--like an internal register that counts rounds thinking about the gradual wear over time. It reduces the enjoyment of shooting a little bit. Does anyone else suffer from this? I'd be interested in your vote for this gun:

a) Shoot rarely and sparingly
b) Shoot regularly with gentle care
c) Just shoot and have fun--don't worry about it

To be clear, I treat even my lower grade shooters with respect and care. There are degrees along the spectrum, though. All opinions most welcome!

View attachment 498458
Hey Bay,

Welcome to S&W!

Way to go!!

Wonderful pic of a Super Fine M 27....on your first post!!

I shoot all of mine....(my two cents)

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
13,687 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think you'll enjoy visiting here.

I have guns for shooting, and I have some for collecting that I would never shoot. Some of the decision is based upon the rarity of the firearm involved. Some on the potential for breakage or damage and it's impact on the historical value of the gun, and some based on my judgement.

I don't feel compelled to shoot everything I own.

Common production guns with readily replaced parts are not generally a problem for shooting. Historic firearms with hand fit and numbered parts are. On a Luger or P.38 if you break a numbered part, you often eliminate any collector interest for the gun. I shoot Lugers and P..38 pistols, but the ones that I shoot are already in "shooter" status. One due to extensive finish wear, and others because of mixed parts.

On production guns like S&W revolvers, condition is more the issue than parts breakage. There are few examples of pristine S&W revolvers remaining a few decades after a model has been released. That's because they are used in the course of ownership. Imagine how few military handguns from WW-II remain in unused state?

These pistols don't get shot:

Here's a 1938 Mauser military Luger that is essentially in the condition it left the factory. All matching. Original salt blued finish:

Here are four Swiss Lugers representing the variations used by Switzerland from 1900 through 1948:

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
I'm with bayskipper. I have a couple 14 year old NIB wheel guns that have never lit off (other than the one done at the factory). I use old used ones that have been.

Reactions: TTSH

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm with bayskipper. I have a couple 14 year old NIB wheel guns that have never lit off (other than the one done at the factory). I use old used ones that have been.
I have had the habit of buying at least two of my favorite models—one to shoot and one to preserve. That’s not very economically sustainable! LOL!

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Nice looking 27...! I would shoot that one regularly and carry it? I use Ballistol to clean and keep it looking GOOD!
I used to think like you til a friend told me..."if you don't shoot and enjoy you're favorite guns...your heirs will....!?
Imagine IF they aren't gun collectors like you(we) are? 🇺🇲 🤠:confused:

·
Registered
21,325 Posts
I buy guns to shoot them! I've only put a couple of boxes of .357 Mag thru a M-66-1 2 1/2", but I tend to shoot my other revolvers more in .38 Spl.. It's not that I'm that I'm saving it, because it's worth more money, because if I buy a new revolver of the same type, it will cost about the same. I like to keep my guns in nice condition, even though I shoot some a lot. They all look nice!

I've shot my M-17-4 6" .22 quite a bit, and my M-67 4" also. I sold the M-17-4 awhile back, and I had the M-67 completely rebuilt by S&W. It's just like new now! ;) The range is open again, and when it warms up, I'll be back out there, makin' some noise, but with the high cost of ammo, I'll just use what I've got. When the prices come down....I'll buy some more!!!! I don't intend to play their games.....and pay 4X the price!!!!!! Bob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts