Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin' at Doc44's wonderful flattop this morning caused me to go out on a mission. Wasn't planning on picking up this one for a few more weeks....but his post lit a fire under my butt :mrgreen:

Funny story goes with this one. I'm in a Cabela's and notice this on the bottom shelf in the Gun Library. They have the tag marked as a Superblackhawk and have it priced accordingly.... I see the fluted cylinders first and say, hmmmm not that common. Notice the round trigger guard next and immediately look for the topstrap...Wowsers!!!! Slowly look down and see the three screws :mrgreen:

Been abused pretty hard since 1961....

Giz

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ladder13 said:
OK, nice Ruger...what is it? :oops:
It's a 1961 Flattop in 44 Mag. :)
It is the same basic gun that Elmer Keith despised on some levels and that Skeeter Skelton fell in love with ;)

Me, I love Elmer....
But Skeeter and I are feelin' the love ...:mrgreen:

giz

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Elmer Keith did indeed like the .44 Mag Ruger. But not the gripframe. He wanted a "Dragoon" style frame and convinced Bill Ruger to make that change. The Superblackhawk has that squared rear trigger guard and a different size gripframe.

Lot of folks don't know that Elmer's home was set onfire by an arsonist when he was a child. His fingers were literally fused together as a result of the burns he received. It was awhile until they were properly healed. That, combined with his smaller then normal handsize might have something to with his request.

giz

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Giz,

Nicely done! I especially like the plum colored loading gate. Can't wait to shoot 'er. ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
:) Giz...Very nice!!! I know you will enjoy that BKH47. I haven't shot either of mine, but I do shoot a 10-incher that is one of the most accurate 44s I have. I just wish it was a little more convenient to carry.

Bill

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I love those old flat tops. They seem to be fairly common in this part of the world. If I was so inclined, I could probably round up two or three before the end of the day. Well, at least two that I know of. Not nearly in pristine condition, more like well used, but well worth the money. Have fun with that one, Giz.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
Giz, Stop showing those SA Rugers!!!! You're gonna make me buy one of them. My goal in gun collecting.......is to have as wide a variety as I can, not to concentrate on one manufacturer (like S&W). I almost spent the money, from the sale of my M-10, before I left the gunshop.

They had a nice .357 SA Ruger.....that was calling my name. I barely made it out of there!!!! :roll: :lol: Bob+

1 - 10 of 10 Posts