Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,730 Posts
Have a FFL ship it via Registered USPS.

In my experience, it's safer than the private transport companies, more secure, better tracked and less expensive (even including the FFL fee to handle it).

Overnight UPS or FedEX will run $100 now. Registered USPS is under $35 to most of the US.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Registered USPS is under $35 to most of the US.
Yes, BUT, by the time you've paid $35 or $40 to a dealer, you're almost back up to the UPS cost. If I were shipping USPS, I'd ship Priority in a flat-rate box, & take my chances. In fact, I just did that several months ago, enclosing my C&R in the hope it would "pass" if the box happened to be inspected--which is not likely to happen unless it happens to be damaged in shipment. However, I'm reluctant to make a regular habit of it.

Can anyone explain to me how this outrageous restriction was allowed to stay in effect during TWO YEARS of total control of Congress by our "friends"?

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
I shipped 2 guns recently via UPS, by me. UPS was running 40% off, it was cheaper than going thru an FFL.

With UPS you have to ship next day, but Next Day Air Saver is way less expensive than Next Day, and is fine with UPS. Difference? Air Saver is delivered later in the day. Who cares as long as the requirement is met?
Of course the receiving FFL has to be ok with accepting from a non FFL with some form of Gov’t ID, some won’t.

Then there’s the old throw it in a box and pray it gets there. :eek: I’ve had two guns shipped to my FFL vis USPS by a non FFL, a big no no.
One of the sellers just dropped the gun in a flat rate USPS box with nothing inside but the gun. I got things straight when he sent me ID for my FFL who is fine with receiving from non FFL’s.

Don’t mess with postal inspectors.

Edit: Everything is fine until it isn’t.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Well if your FFL charges $40 transfer fee then perhaps look for another dealer.

The fes guns I sold, I printed the USPS label (with the FFL address) got the box with packing. Brought to my FFL he checked, recorded in bound book. We taped it and USPS came and picked it up.
So it was $25 for FFL and whatever the medium Flat rate box is going for these days.

I am not driving all the way to a UPS Hub or FedEx.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well if your FFL charges $40 transfer fee then perhaps look for another dealer.
The "other" charges $50--his way of saying "I don't want to do it." When you live in the country, FFLs are few & far between.

·
Registered
13,396 Posts
I believe DHL handles firearms as well but with DHL, it's a crapshoot about it getting there... DHL= Dumb and Hopelessly Lost...:D

·
Registered
13,396 Posts
After the deal last year in Indy with the handguns vanishing from the distribution center, I'm leery about UPS.

·
Registered
10,192 Posts
After the deal last year in Indy with the handguns vanishing from the distribution center, I'm leery about UPS.
That incident was an inside job - there were 2-3 UPS semi trucks loaded with guns from a manufacturer, and UPS was going to drive them out the next day. They caught the guys, one was a worker for the manufacturer. All guns were recovered, they hadn't even busted the seals on the trailers.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
Reviewed website, still don't understand how this works. How do you get the gun to this company?
You don't... you buy a prepaid printed shipping label from them at a much lower cost. Corporate/commercial shippers negotiate contracts to get different rates with the carriers that are much lower than the over the counter rates that John Q public gets charged.

They send the prepaid shipping label to you, and then you drop the package off at a UPS store.

The one drawback with Shipmygun is that they have to have a copy of the receiver FFL on file in order to ship.

Their website has a search function by zip code to see who they already have on file. If the FFL you want to ship to is not on their list, you can still specify them, but there will be a delay in getting the label while they contact the FFL and get a copy of their FFL.

Reactions: Curt360 and Golphin

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
Yes, BUT, by the time you've paid $35 or $40 to a dealer, you're almost back up to the UPS cost. If I were shipping USPS, I'd ship Priority in a flat-rate box, & take my chances. In fact, I just did that several months ago, enclosing my C&R in the hope it would "pass" if the box happened to be inspected--which is not likely to happen unless it happens to be damaged in shipment. However, I'm reluctant to make a regular habit of it.

Can anyone explain to me how this outrageous restriction was allowed to stay in effect during TWO YEARS of total control of Congress by our "friends"?
What you did was a felony. When a FFL ships a handgun via the USPS, he needs to supply a specific form to the USPS when he ships the gun

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for explaining it, Gunhacker. My reason for shipping was repair work, so the gun would have to be returned to me, doubling the cost. Just ain't worth it.

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
Make friends with a local FFL dealer. They're easy to find if you use gunbrokers FFL finder. Just enter your zip code and indicate the distance you want to search. Go thru the list and call a few. They're in the FFL finder for a reason. They want and need your business to succeed. Many are gunsmiths as well, and that's a good friend to make whenever possible.

I found an FFL holder here that'll ship handguns for me for $40 complete. For long guns they only charge $5 more. But, if my buyer's FFL will accept a shipment from a non-FFL holder (me) I can ship most long guns through the USPS for roughly $35. To receive a gun it's $40 into my hands for either hand guns or long guns, including the mandatory Federal and Tennessee Background checks.

Reactions: Curt360 and jeepnut

·
Registered
12,365 Posts

What you did was a felony. When a FFL ships a handgun via the USPS, he needs to supply a specific form to the USPS when he ships the gun

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
Thanks for explaining it, Gunhacker. My reason for shipping was repair work, so the gun would have to be returned to me, doubling the cost. Just ain't worth it.
If you are sending a gun of yours directly to an FFL holder/gunsmith for repair work, in most states they can legally return the gun directly to you, without gong thru another FFL dealer. As long as the chain of possession isn't broken between both of you, then a secondary transfer isn't required. The feds have never required that, it's strictly a state requirement.

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
No, that isn't true.
The post office only requires a copy of the FFL holders license be given to them when the box is dropped off to them, and a copy of the shippers FFL's license inside the box with the firearm. I've done this dozens of times without any hassle from the USPS, or the receiving FFL dealers.
Just ship it Priority Mail. I've also done it twice in the past 2 months, so I know what I'm talking about here.

Not even a state law can supersede the US Postal Services regulations of shipping firearms. Federal law takes precedent in this case.

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
If I were shipping USPS, I'd ship Priority in a flat-rate box, & take my chances. In fact, I just did that several months ago, enclosing my C&R in the hope it would "pass" if the box happened to be inspected--which is not likely to happen unless it happens to be damaged in shipment. However, I'm reluctant to make a regular habit of it.
In the eyes of the USPS, a C&R license is the required FFL's license, as long as the item being shipped is specifically covered under the sellers or receivers C&R License.

I am totally amazed how so many people that have guns, have no real idea what it takes to ship guns, and/or ammunition.
I'd guess that well less than 1 in a thousand of us that have guns, know how to do it legally, and easily.
I've been buying and selling guns and plenty of ammunition for the past 15 years. It's incredibly easy once you know what the true regulations are, and you follow them to the letter.
Ask any member here that's received a gun or some ammo from me just how easy it was. And ask any here that have sold me a gun how easy it is once they've learned how to do it the right way.
Heck, I've even given away ammo here as Karma gifts when there was no ammo (especially 22 LR ammo) to be found.

Reactions: lawdog
1 - 20 of 33 Posts