Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Actually, the Model 15 and 17's serial starts with a number before a K like 10Kxxxx. Both of these models were introduced in 1977 and were made for about 10 years.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Actually, the Model 15 and 17's serial starts with a number before a K like 10Kxxxx. Both of these models were introduced in 1977 and were made for about 10 years.
thanks for giving me a little direction...Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated

I recently inherited a S&W collection
15-4, 17-4, 341, and 686

the 17-4 has this by the k...
99k1xxx (4 digits)
under that it has Mod 17-4
the butt is covered with the grips (original I believe) so I cannot see the butt numbers unless I remove the grips.

the 15-4 number on the butt,,,AEW0xxx (4 digits)
also have another...

model 341
serial on butt m210xxx

model 686
serial on butt
AEK2xxx (4 digits)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another question....what do all the numbers on the box mean? Fin? Stock? Spec ord? Etc. I kinda get what they are asking but have no idea how to interpret the numbers in those boxes.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Julian date is a dating system used by the military and others. It is basically the number of the day of the year and the last two numbers of the year.

Example:
Today's date is 20-Oct-2020.
Today's Julian Date is 20294. (294th day of 2020).

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
That is correct, however, depending on when the gun was made, S&W Used a four digit Julian date. The first digit is the year within the decade the gun was made, and the last three digits are the actual day. So, you have to know what decade the gun was made in to decipher the year and day.

Guy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts