Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First time poster looking for an EDC. Concentrating on the single stack 9MMs. I've narrowed my list down to the four listed and seeking perspective from others.

First off, I really like the Sig P938. I'm pretty accurate with it and I really like the size. I wasn't a big fan of the Shield but it's growing on me. I'm pretty accurate with it as well but I'm better with the Sig. The Sig and Shield are my two leaders as the have manual safeties. Coming from 1911s, I like a manual safety.

The Glock is a Glock and I shoot it well. The Walther I have never shot (but plan on it this week). While I'd prefer a manual safety it's not a deal killer hence why these two are included.

Any benefits of the Shield over the three I have listed? Any body shot all four and have some additional thoughts?

Oh forgot to add....the price of the Shield makes it very attractive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,316 Posts
1st welcome to the friendly forum. Did you try a Sig 290? Similar controls to a Glock 43 & much better quality @ a similar price, I'm very happy w/ mine. The sig 938 is a fine gun as well. I have very little experience w/ the others.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I have both a 9mm Shield and a Sig 938. The biggest thing for me is that the barrel lengths are the same so performance doesn't change, but the Sig is smaller and fits my hand more comfortably. But, it is about twice the price. The Sig shoots to point of aim where the Shield shoots low, for me. The night sights on the Sig are so bright I can see it sitting on my night stand in the dark. I did install some tritium sights on my Shield but they are not as bright.

They are both quality pistols but I prefer the Sig.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1st welcome to the friendly forum. Did you try a Sig 290? Similar controls to a Glock 43 & much better quality @ a similar price, I'm very happy w/ mine. The sig 938 is a fine gun as well. I have very little experience w/ the others.
Thanks for the input! I have never shot the 290 but I should put that on my list. I can't remember why it was scratched off my list! I did try the 320 subcompact and really disliked that gun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have both a 9mm Shield and a Sig 938. The biggest thing for me is that the barrel lengths are the same so performance doesn't change, but the Sig is smaller and fits my hand more comfortably. But, it is about twice the price. The Sig shoots to point of aim where the Shield shoots low, for me. The night sights on the Sig are so bright I can see it sitting on my night stand in the dark. I did install some tritium sights on my Shield but they are not as bright.

They are both quality pistols but I prefer the Sig.
Agreed, the Sig shoots really well and the night sights are awesome. There is a special on the 938 with three magazines and night sights for $539.

·
Super Moderator
19,535 Posts
We have a SIG P938, and I carry a Walther PPS. I have handled the Glock 43, but do not yet own one. All 3 are excellent weapons.
The biggest problem with the Walther that I can relate to is the mag release lever is part of the trigger guard.
~[Edit note] - I just discovered that the Walther PPS M2 has had the mag release moved to the more conventional pistol grip side location, eliminating the finger grip mag release~

If you don't have or use any other pistols with this feature, it doesn't become an automatic reflex to quickly dump the mag if needed in a hurry.
The Walther is my primary carry piece. so I regularly practice mag dumps with their release much more often than with my other pistols.
Practice mostly what you carry! And always be 100% familiar and automatic operating your carry piece.
There isn't enough practice ammo you can shoot that will equal the value of your life, when the real thing is needed.

Regards,
Gregory

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have a SIG P938, and I carry a Walther PPS. I have handled the Glock 43, but do not yet own one. All 3 are excellent weapons.
The biggest problem with the Walther that I can relate to is the mag release lever is part of the trigger guard.
If you don't have or use any other pistols with this feature, it doesn't become an automatic reflex to quickly dump the mag if needed in a hurry.
The Walther is my primary carry piece. so I regularly practice mag dumps with their release much more often than with my other pistols.
Practice mostly what you carry! And always be 100% familiar and automatic operating your carry piece.
There isn't enough practice ammo you can shoot that will equal the value of your life, when the real thing is needed.

Regards,
Gregory
Thanks for the reply. I'd definitely go with the PPS M2 if I go the Walther route.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
You just can't go wrong with the Glock 43. It is a rugged little gun and takes a beating . I call Glocks the Jeep's of the gun world. Ugly but effective and very rugged. i have one that I carry daily IWB holster or n my pocket. Swap it out on occasion with a J frame 640. The Glock gives very good accuracy. Nice visible sights and is slim enough to fit just about anywhere. I have carried a Glock pistol on duty since 1986 and the Glock's i have carried have never let me down.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
20,140 Posts
Are all these pistols ....PLASTIC????? While I do have a Ruger SR22 that's plastic, I was wondering.....does anyone make a good metal 9mm.? I do think a Ruger LC9s would also be a good choice, but it is plastic also, and might cost less $$$. There is a gunstore in the Mid-West that sells them cheap.....I forgot the name. :confused: Bob

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I have a Shield 9mm and like it but don't base your choice on price unless all other things are equal to you. Yeah you could save money on the Shield and use it to buy ammo but price isn't the main thing. First which one fits your hand the best? Which one do you like the controls of the best? I almost bought a Honor Defense Honor Guard until I felt it and it just didn't feel right. (That and a friend told me they are a new company with anew gun and to wait and let them get a track record first.)

All that said, a S&W Model 10 Revolver 38 Special is what you need. :317:hpzl;n; (Seriously watch out around her or you will be drooling over some of he nice revolves some post pics of.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are all these pistols ....PLASTIC????? While I do have a Ruger SR22 that's plastic, I was wondering.....does anyone make a good metal 9mm.? I do think a Ruger LC9s would also be a good choice, but it is plastic also, and might cost less $$$. There is a gunstore in the Mid-West that sells them cheap.....I forgot the name. :confused: Bob
In a single stack the only two I know of are the Sig 938 and and Kimber.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a Shield 9mm and like it but don't base your choice on price unless all other things are equal to you. Yeah you could save money on the Shield and use it to buy ammo but price isn't the main thing. First which one fits your hand the best? Which one do you like the controls of the best? I almost bought a Honor Defense Honor Guard until I felt it and it just didn't feel right. (That and a friend told me they are a new company with anew gun and to wait and let them get a track record first.)

All that said, a S&W Model 10 Revolver 38 Special is what you need. :317:hpzl;n; (Seriously watch out around her or you will be drooling over some of he nice revolves some post pics of.)
Thanks for the response. I agree cheaper is better on the wallet but not necessarily better in the hand. Narrowed it down to the PPS and Shield and the PPS just feels better in my hand. I could upgrade the Shield with an Apex trigger and new sights and be around the price of the PPS M2 LE but it would not change the the overall feel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have some experience with the Shield, PPS M2 and Glock 43.
In my opinion the glock is a cheap PPS M2. The PPS M2 has the same features, but also has better ergonomics and, IMO, style. The shield is very nice as well, and the extra round in the chamber is great, along with the option of a thumb safety. My carry gun is a Walther PPS M2, and I'm pleased to have gone that route.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have both the S&W Shield and the SIG P938 in 9mm. I got the Shield first and it is pretty much the EDC for me, but when I got the 938 for the wife (and yes the cost was twice what I spent on the Shield), I have thought about shifting over to it a few times. Love them both so it is a hard decision. Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts