Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was watching a review of the new Shield Plus with a higher ammo capacity and the review mentioned how much better the trigger was. A little better than the 2.0 and so much than the gritty 1.0. Then they said even the Shield Plus trigger wasn't the best.

OK I understand reviews will always praise the latest model over older stuff but was the Shield 1.0 trigger that bad really? I have the 1.0 and in my ignorance, it seems to work fine. I pull it, the gun goes bang and the bullet hits the target. I remember when I got mine people talked about upgrading the trigger. I wonder if I could put a Shield Plus trigger into my 1.0? Is it really worth it.

Registered
My 1.0 trigger is/was fine. I put the McCarbo trigger in it. It is also fine. I do not have a trigger gauge so can not determine if is .007423 lbs lighter or whatever, :)

I did not do all the useless "polishing" that the video shows. Polishing the entire trigger bar is just bling and does nothing, neither does the striker block. My parts where already smooth

It goes bang!馃榾 I can live with 9 rounds vs 10 or more.

The hardest part was getting the damn rear sight off. What a stupid design (SW) to remove the sight to get to the striker block spring:eek:

Registered
Back in 2012 when the Shield was released they all praised the trigger. They seem to run around 6pounds. Have heard the Shield plus trigger pull is more like 4 pounds but the weight isnt everything. Smoothness rules

Premium Member
I bought a Shield 1.0 Performance Center model (over the standard model) primarily because the trigger was noticeably better in the PC version. I bought it at a local store event (he had about 75 of them in stock) during the period when S&W was offering a $75 rebate, and people were discounting them heavily a few years ago.

Many people immediately replaced the factory trigger in the 1,0 Shield with an aftermarket product like the Apex trigger, and they ended up spending the same amount as I did for the PC version - which was ported and had fibre sights.

I don't think that the Shield 1.0 factory trigger is particularly bad. The Shield remains one of my go-to self defense carry and home defense pistols.

Registered
It may surprise some of you, but the best trigger pull on a striker fired semi auto that I have shot is on my SR9c. It is crisp, not too long and about 5 pounds tops

Registered
I have 3 Shields. 9-40-45. I like the triggers...........Since S&W copied Glock with the "swinging dihgus" in the trigger I'll NEVER buy another one. All they did with the latest was make their version of a glock.

Registered
The tabbed trigger safety is not unique to Glock. Several companies have used that trigger safety concept in pistols and rifles. Springfield, Ruger, Savage, Marlin are just a few that come to mind. I don't own a Shield Plus but it looks to me like they have done a pretty good job of making a trigger with that type of safety. The wide flat surface looks very comfortable compared to the thin tabs on most triggers of this type. I have not been a big fan of the two piece hinged trigger that Smith uses.

Registered
Put me in the 鈥淧lus is better than 1.0鈥 camp. The Plus trigger has a smoother break, so trigger jerking is reduced.

Registered
Memories are short. Before the Shield, M&Ps had terrible triggers... So bad that when someone ordered an M&P, they would automatically order an Apex trigger kit to go with it. I never owned an M&P before the Shield (and almost didn't even TRY the Shield) because their triggers were so bad.

Everyone loved the Shield's trigger so much that within about a Year, S&W was putting the Shield trigger in the other M&Ps.

Of course, there are still (and will always be) those who simply HAVE to swap out the trigger of their new pistol, because the factory trigger is never 'Good Enough'. ;)

Registered
I found that the trigger felt different depending on how you put your finger on it. Put it on to the low side and it broke very easily, a little too high and it felt much heavier. Not a big deal, but I find the tabbed trigger a little more consistent in the pistols that I own. I have owned a few Shields and shot them pretty well with the stock triggers but given a choice I like the triggers with the safety tab a little better.

Registered
I found that the trigger felt different depending on how you put your finger on it. Put it on to the low side and it broke very easily, a little too high and it felt much heavier. Not a big deal, but I find the tabbed trigger a little more consistent in the pistols that I own. I have owned a few Shields and shot them pretty well with the stock triggers but given a choice I like the triggers with the safety tab a little better.
Thanks. Mine has that infamous "gritty" feel, but other than that, no complaints.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts