Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought two Shields Plus; one Peformance Center with 4" barrel and one with 3.1" barrel.
So far I've only tried: 3.3, 3.5, and 3.7 gr of Vihta Vuori N320 and Berry's 147 gr RN plated bullet.

Accuracy was dismal. At eight yards, 4" to 5" groups!

I thought maybe the problem was the shooter (me) so I switched to my Kimber 1911 9mm and the groups tightened up nicely. Next, I had a friend (a very competent competition shooter) try my load in my Shields and he too got 4" to 5" groups.

I have a bunch of Hornady 147 XTP bullets to try. I've ordered 147 FMJ bullets and I'll likely order some polymer coated bullets (as I've come to like them in my Model 627 USPSA and ICORE revolver); and will try to get some Speer Gold Dot bullets when available.

What is the consensus?

Are plated bullets known to be inaccurate in the Shield Plus? How about polymer coated bullets?

Are lighter bullets preferred?

· Registered
Gen1 Shield 9mm
66 Posts
Watch Hickok45's review of the Shield. He's hitting a 12" gong at 80yds with it and smaller targets at varying ranges too. It probably is considered by most to be a close range weapon but in the right hands can be accurate at farther distances.

· Registered
7,202 Posts
M&Ps are for made combat accuracy, not bullseye competition. My Shield Plus 4” makes lousy group sizes with factory ammo, but it’s a nice pistol.

3” groups at 10 yards gets boring fast.

· Registered
5 Posts
I recently bought two Shields Plus; one Peformance Center with 4" barrel and one with 3.1" barrel.
So far I've only tried: 3.3, 3.5, and 3.7 gr of Vihta Vuori N320 and Berry's 147 gr RN plated bullet.

Accuracy was dismal. At eight yards, 4" to 5" groups!

I thought maybe the problem was the shooter (me) so I switched to my Kimber 1911 9mm and the groups tightened up nicely. Next, I had a friend (a very competent competition shooter) try my load in my Shields and he too got 4" to 5" groups.

I have a bunch of Hornady 147 XTP bullets to try. I've ordered 147 FMJ bullets and I'll likely order some polymer coated bullets (as I've come to like them in my Model 627 USPSA and ICORE revolver); and will try to get some Speer Gold Dot bullets when available.

What is the consensus?

Are plated bullets known to be inaccurate in the Shield Plus? How about polymer coated bullets?

Are lighter bullets preferred?
Ive been shooting reloads using 5.5 grains of 3n38 and 135 grain defensive hollowpoints from xtreme bullets and i can hit pins every time. 50 shots and i didnt miss a single time. I shot 115grn 124grn and 147grn factory ammo from freedom munitions and the heavier bullets are more accurate in mine. Lighter bullets tend to shoot too high so i just quit buying anything lighter than 135. I havent noticed a difference between 135 and 147. I also shot 135grn copper plated bullets with the same powder and load and its still accurate. Your using 2 grains less than me and im using a hotter powder, so maybe your not using enough powder. I also change my sights to those high profile low light sights and an adjustable rear sight which helps a lot

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive been shooting reloads using 5.5 grains of 3n38 and 135 grain defensive hollowpoints from xtreme bullets and i can hit pins every time. 50 shots and i didnt miss a single time. I shot 115grn 124grn and 147grn factory ammo from freedom munitions and the heavier bullets are more accurate in mine. Lighter bullets tend to shoot too high so i just quit buying anything lighter than 135. I havent noticed a difference between 135 and 147. I also shot 135grn copper plated bullets with the same powder and load and its still accurate. Your using 2 grains less than me and im using a hotter powder, so maybe your not using enough powder. I also change my sights to those high profile low light sights and an adjustable rear sight which helps a lot
Interesting. Its long been said that heavier pistol bullets shoot to a higher POA than lighter bullets.

At what distance are you shooting pins? Speed shooting? Or slow, deliberate fire?

· Registered
116 Posts
My Shield Plus was purchased from a store display case..had probably been fondled by countless others and it has shot flawlessly and to point of aim right out of the box.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts