Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
The original Shield had magazines that were tough to completely load too. I bought mine in 2012 and while I can load the magazines by hand, that last round is still a struggle sometimes.
I just bought another 13 rounder and a 2-mag belt carrier. I'm only loading 11 rounds in each of the 13 round mags so it isn't too bad. I carry the 10-round mag in the gun for concealability. So, if the fight is still going after 21 rounds, I better start running anyway.
I signed up here just for this specific issue. I can only load 11 rounds no matter how hard I try even with a LULA. I am a bit disappointed but I am hoping they will loosen up over time. However this is not a good sign. If it is advertised as having 13 round capacity, it should have 13 round capacity. I bought an extra when I purchased the Plus. Hopefully they work out over time.
Agreed !

I think they advertise13 rounds to compete with the Sig 365xl and Springfield Hellcat. With a different spring, they could get the 13 round. Not sure why they won't fix this. Even if you can force the 13th round in the mag, you can't get a fully loaded mag in the gun without extreme force.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I first got the 13 round magazines, I could only load 12 rounds into them. However, leaving the 12 rounds in overnight and using a speed loader, I was able to load 13 rounds in them. I used the pressure of the speed loader along with my thumb on the round 12th round and after waiting overnight, the 13th round went in. The speed loader is an EX mag and it allows for a lot of pressure on the rounds for loading magazines with new and strong springs. View attachment 525594
I read a few of these threads when I bought my plus. I ended up using the Lula to cram all 13 rounds in the mag over and over again the first night I got them (4 mags). After what felt like the 20th time, they started loosening up and now I can push all 13 rounds in with my thumbs no problem. It just takes some repetition of the last 3 rounds. I still have to insert the mag with a bit of "authority", but nothing unreasonable. Slide release is still easier if I sling shot it.
Purchased my Plus last November as I wanted the extra capacity. My EDC is a 1st gen Shield which I love. Well the Plus has been a huge disappointment. First, the 13 round mags, (I have 3 of them), only one actually can carry 13 rounds. The other two, only holds 12. In addition, with the 13 round mag, when I have a round in the chamber, and load the 13th round in the mag, I have to SLAM the mag into the well to seat it. I've found that sometimes, slamming the mag marrs the round in the chamber and it's very hard to rack the slide. I know this is not a normal procedure, racking the slide with a full mag, but it shouldn't be so tight. Why would S&W advertise a 13 + 1 capacity when it is so difficult to achieve.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchased my Plus last November as I wanted the extra capacity. My EDC is a 1st gen Shield which I love. Well the Plus has been a huge disappointment. First, the 13 round mags, (I have 3 of them), only one actually can carry 13 rounds. The other two, only holds 12. In addition, with the 13 round mag, when I have a round in the chamber, and load the 13th round in the mag, I have to SLAM the mag into the well to seat it. I've found that sometimes, slamming the mag marrs the round in the chamber and it's very hard to rack the slide. I know this is not a normal procedure, racking the slide with a full mag, but it shouldn't be so tight. Why would S&W advertise a 13 + 1 capacity when it is so difficult to achieve.
Very similar problem(s) with my 9 mm Shield Plus I purchased last fall. This is my 3rd Shield for EDC and I was looking forward to having the 13 + 1 capacity. As you describe, once you get the 13th round in the magazine, which takes some work, it takes a fair amount of pressure to insert the magazine to the appropriate click-in-place and/or rack the slide with a full magazine.

However, my biggest problem is that with a round in the chamber and 13 in the magazine, the first shot will fire, but the gun will not rack the next round; it always, always jams trying to get that top (13th) round out of the magazine. I've put hundreds of rounds through the gun and have used various types of ammo (FMJ and high quality personal defense) and the same thing happens with 13 in the magazine. It works fine if I only load 12 in the magazine, which is what I now do since, for EDC, I have to be sure it won't jam.

Very disappointing that this S&W firearm doesn't function well with its advertised 13-round magazine. Very disappointing. Especially for EDC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought my Shield Plus in Fall of 2019. The 13 round magazine that came with the pistol worked fine and could be loaded to a full 13 rounds without effort. Purchased five more 13 round magazines for the Shield Plus in November 2021. Could only load the five 13 round magazines to 11 rounds. Notified S&W Customer Service which sent me 5 new magazine springs. Replaced the magazine springs and could still only load 11 rounds.

Contacted S&W Customer Service and they sent me a free shipping label to return the magazines. A week later received five 13 round magazines. Loaded these five magazines and much to my disappoint I was only able to load 12 rounds into three of them and 11 rounds into two of them.

Called Customer Service again and they again offered to change the magazines. I agreed to do this if they would first make certain that each of the magazines could be loaded to 13 rounds before shipping them. That suggestion was met with silence. Customer Service told me that they have not received many complaints about the Shield Plus magazine issues.

Rather than exchange the magazines I have decided to go in a different direction with a different manufacturer. Let me know if anyone is interested in a once fired Shield Plus with one 13 round magazine that holds 13 rounds and five 13 round magazines that will hold between 12 and 11 rounds.

I have decided that I am pretty much done with S&W semiautomatic pistols. I have never experienced a magazine issue like this with any other firearm manufacturer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have five Shield Plus 13-round magazines, and all of them become very difficult to load after the 11th round. What I found out was I could use the Uplula to repeatedly press the 11th round with force, and after 10 to 20 hard presses, something inside the magazine broke loose, and then I could use the Uplula to load the last two rounds easily. There seems to be a strong resistance point that's not coming from the magazine spring, and once you pass that point it becomes easier to load the last two rounds. This happens to all five magazines.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the Plus as of last fall and the 13 rd mag was difficult at first but the next day after leaving 12 in over night I was able to load the 13th using thumb pressure. My beef is the slide being a bear to move with the mag inserted. I am waiting for an answer from SW to decide if I keep this gun. CS sounds flaky to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know you shouldn't have to go this route, however, I owned a 1st gen shield and wanted extra capacity. I modified my mags with Magguts enhanced magazine spring and was EXCEPTIONALLY pleased with the results. never had a single issue with jams. I intend to modify my 13 (sic) round magazine with the magguts specifically designed for the M and p 9 plus 13 round mag and will let you know how things go.

PS. No endorsement compensation or marketing perks have been given for this testimonial.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know you shouldn't have to go this route, however, I owned a 1st gen shield and wanted extra capacity. I modified my mags with Magguts enhanced magazine spring and was EXCEPTIONALLY pleased with the results. never had a single issue with jams. I intend to modify my 13 (sic) round magazine with the magguts specifically designed for the M and p 9 plus 13 round mag and will let you know how things go.

PS. No endorsement compensation or marketing perks have been given for this testimonial.
It's amazing that no one has adopted this style of spring. A patent may be in place but it's such a simple fix.SW won't admit there's a problem with some of the 13 rd mags. I fixed mine by clipping off an 1/8 of an inch from the follower to get the slide to function correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I notice that increases the length of the mag. I don't really need that, I just want to get the 13 in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In my opinion they are really 12 round magazines. I really like my Shield Plus, optics ready pistol. I think they fixed all of the things that I didn't like about the earlier Shields. I had 3 others before this one but the Shield Plus is the best of the bunch. I knew going in after reading all of the issues with the 13 round mags that they really don't hold 13 without brute force to get them in. That is not acceptable so I load mine with 12 and they work great. I don't lose sleep over 1 round. I carry with the 10 round mag in the gun and 12 in the other as a backup. If I can't solve the problem with 22 rounds, I doubt that one more round would make much difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wanted give my take as I have been browsing this forum often for solutions regarding the magazines. I specifically sold my wife on getting this pistol for her because of the 13+1 capacity so calling it quits on this five hundred dollar plus gun and calling it a 12+1 was a non starter. Here is my experience when taking apart the mags to see what I could workout.

The 10 round magazine could only be loaded to 8 with a firm stop. Upon disassembly, it was found that the follower was not even seated in the spring itself. It had just been sitting on top of the spring this whole time thereby removing the Extra two round capacity. Upon seating the follower in the spring which took some force, it was reassembled and easily loads all 10 rounds.

Next the 13 round magazine. It would only load 11. Upon disassembling, it was found that this magazine was assembled correctly to my dismay. Determined to resolve the extra 2 rounds issue, I ended up loading the magazine while the base plate was removed. Since the shield plus magazine has the extra lip around the bottom edges which help keep the spring in place, I used this along with the leverage of having my thumb on the floor plate catch to load all 13 rounds. This was a concerted effort as it took multiple try’s and failures as the spring did shoot out a few times causing slight pain to any body parts in the way, but once it was fully loaded and the floor plate backing appropriated reinstalled over the floor catch plate the loading issue was corrected and could now be hand loaded to full capacity!

So this fix I attribute to a sort of reverse load technique. Which ultimately provided the spring with that little extra room needed to fully load all 13 rounds.

·
Registered
M&P 9 Shield Plus
2 Posts
I also joined the forum specifically because of this issue. I picked up my Shield Plus in June, and ordered 3 spare 13-rounders. One of the spares would not load past 11, and I took it and another spare apart to see if there was a hangup of some sort. In the process, I noticed that the one spare that gave me the most trouble looked slightly different from all the others, and I'm wondering if its spring might be slightly different too. As you can see, on the middle mag (the most troublesome one), the font is different, and one of the holes near the top is in a slightly different spot as well. Maybe S&W is using 2 different manufacturers?

The springs looked more or less identical, but I can't guarantee they actually are; the only obvious differences in mags were external.

Rectangle Watch accessory Automotive exterior Gadget Strap

Gadget Rectangle Cylinder Office supplies Auto part

·
Registered
Shield, Shield Plus
3 Posts
So I just bought a Shield plus that has the problem with not being able to load the 13 round magazine. So I did some analysis and found the root cause of the issue. The problem is the follower that is installed in the magazine. The following picture shows how the follower in 13 round with 13 rounds on the left while on the right is the 10 round mag on the right with 10 rounds. Notice that the follower on the 10 round is below the lip of the magazine.

Audio equipment Gas Automotive design Gadget Cable

For the next test I loaded the 13 round without a spring to see if it was physically possible to put 13 rounds in. As you can see in the following picture there isn't enough clearance to even install 13 rounds in the magazine.
Input device Space bar Peripheral Communication Device Automotive lighting

I think that the people that said you have to hear a pop then you will be able to load 13 rounds is actually hearing the follower break but without disassembling one that did that I can't be sure.

I have contacted to Support and am sending the magazine in. Will see if I get a working 13 round mag back from them or not.

·
Registered
M&P 9 Shield Plus
2 Posts
I usually get that "pop" when I load the 13 rd mags, and have opened the mag up afterward and found no damage. The follower sounds like a good lead to investigate though.

I think that sound is a couple of the spring's coils slipping past each other.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I find it interesting that this problem exists with the 13 round mags. I had similar issues with the mags from my 2.0 Shields. I fixed those by cutting one coil off of the spring and never had an issue again. Shot thousands of rounds through that pistol without a problem. I can't load 13 in my Shield Plus mags either, even with the Maglula loader. I can get 12 in without a big problem. I am ok with that. The 10 rounders are great. I have no issue loading those even without the loader. I carry the gun with the 10 rounder for ease of concealment with the 12 as a backup. In my opinion Smith over springs their magazines. I haven't tampered with the Plus mags yet, but I may get to that point someday. I use the 10 rounders more anyway.

·
Registered
Shield, Shield Plus
3 Posts
I usually get that "pop" when I load the 13 rd mags, and have opened the mag up afterward and found no damage. The follower sounds like a good lead to investigate though.

I think that sound is a couple of the spring's coils slipping past each other.
Spring coils make sense.

Next time you take apart the 13 could you load it and post a picture of the follower height like my first picture.

·
Registered
Shield, Shield Plus
3 Posts
Well it looks like the follower was the correct root cause of only being able to take 12 rounds. I picked up a new 13 round mag and it was able to load up 13 rounds. You can see from the following photo that the follower doesn't stick out as much as the pictures in post 36. While it doesn't sit as low as the 10 round it sets lower than my other 13 round which I have sent back for replacement. Unfortunately, I already sent the bad one back so I can't do a side by side to see the differences.

Finger Toy Gadget Thumb Nail

BTW: the first time I loaded the mag it didn't seem like it wanted to take 13 rounds. After disassembly for the photos it was able to take 13 and I didn't hear the pop that was mentioned in other posts. I was using a uplula which may have had something to do with not hearing a pop as it can push the round down better.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts