Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got the 13 round magazines, I could only load 12 rounds into them. However, leaving the 12 rounds in overnight and using a speed loader, I was able to load 13 rounds in them. I used the pressure of the speed loader along with my thumb on the round 12th round and after waiting overnight, the 13th round went in. The speed loader is an EX mag and it allows for a lot of pressure on the rounds for loading magazines with new and strong springs.
Rectangle Metal Composite material Wood Cylinder

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I first got the 13 round magazines, I could only load 12 rounds into them. However, leaving the 12 rounds in overnight and using a speed loader, I was able to load 13 rounds in them. I used the pressure of the speed loader along with my thumb on the round 12th round and after waiting overnight, the 13th round went in. The speed loader is an EX mag and it allows for a lot of pressure on the rounds for loading magazines with new and strong springs. View attachment 525594
I'm late getting in the game (New Years Eve 2021). I just purchased the 3.1" Sheild Plus (Optic Ready). I am also having problems loading the magazines. Like Ralph, I can manage to load the 10-round mag with the Magula UpLula loader. However, loading the 13-round mag is next to impossible even using the Uplula. I have to push down on the top of the loader with the palm of my hand with everything I have (I'm 200lbs.) to get the 13th round in the mag. The little "beak" looks like it was going to snap! I can't believe that this is normal for any new magazine.

Then trying to load the full mag in the gun is crazy hard. It can't be good for the gun to have the mag slammed into it that hard. Then racking the slide is another huge undertaking. I've shot 120 rounds through the gun and it is still the same.

To me, this just is not acceptable on a $560.00 gun!!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Don't fight it. Load ten and call it quits. As time passes you might be able to load more but if ten doesn't get the job done, the chances are thirteen won't, either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've noticed with the 13-rounders, getting the 12th round in has a hard snap or bump to it. Once you get past that thump, you can get the 12th round in there. I have 5 13-round magazines and they all have that exact same behavior.

It took me a few tries on each magazine and could not get all 13 rounds in the few 5 times or so. But eventually, it does looses up a little and you can get 'em all in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've noticed with the 13-rounders, getting the 12th round in has a hard snap or bump to it. Once you get past that thump, you can get the 12th round in there. I have 5 13-round magazines and they all have that exact same behavior.

It took me a few tries on each magazine and could not get all 13 rounds in the few 5 times or so. But eventually, it does looses up a little and you can get 'em all in there.
Thanks for the glimmer of Hope!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I first got the 13 round magazines, I could only load 12 rounds into them. However, leaving the 12 rounds in overnight and using a speed loader, I was able to load 13 rounds in them. I used the pressure of the speed loader along with my thumb on the round 12th round and after waiting overnight, the 13th round went in. The speed loader is an EX mag and it allows for a lot of pressure on the rounds for loading magazines with new and strong springs. View attachment 525594
I've been using the Lula loading tool for a number of years. Usually by setting the base on a hard surface to gain leverage. When shooting the new Shield Plus recently, I found that the gun was not cycling properly and discovered why. When using the tool you must make certain that each cartridge goes in all the way back and is stacking properly. If not, they will tilt slightly resulting in difficulty getting the 13th round in the magazine and also jam when the receiver cycles attempting to strip the next round from the magazine into the chamber. Kind of an embarrassing moment, I've been loading automatics for 60 years, but have never encountered springs as stiff as in these new 13 rd double stacked mags.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm late getting in the game (New Years Eve 2021). I just purchased the 3.1" Sheild Plus (Optic Ready). I am also having problems loading the magazines. Like Ralph, I can manage to load the 10-round mag with the Magula UpLula loader. However, loading the 13-round mag is next to impossible even using the Uplula. I have to push down on the top of the loader with the palm of my hand with everything I have (I'm 200lbs.) to get the 13th round in the mag. The little "beak" looks like it was going to snap! I can't believe that this is normal for any new magazine.

Then trying to load the full mag in the gun is crazy hard. It can't be good for the gun to have the mag slammed into it that hard. Then racking the slide is another huge undertaking. I've shot 120 rounds through the gun and it is still the same.

To me, this just is not acceptable on a $560.00 gun!!
When you put the tool into the magazine, atop a cartridge ensure that the "beak" is fully inserted into the mag and the cartridge is not tilted with it's rear elevated and the bullet nose down a tad when you depress it for the next round. I place the mag on a hard surface when loading them. Gives me leverage to use the tool easily. I had the same problem when first loading the 13 rd mags, and had decided that they were really only 12 rd mags, until I figured out what the problem was. Also had problems racking one in then topping the mag off and reinserting the mag. I think if the mag is properly loaded with all the cartridges stacked properly it will load easily. There is not much room for error up inside the gun because the tolerances are minute. Any tilting of those bullets within that mag is going to multiply by the time the 13th bullet is in the mag which may cause a jam at the top if the bullet on top encounters touches any part(s) of the slide as you attempt to seat a full magazine. I suspect that is what is also making the slide drag while racking, the top cartridge is pressing on a part of the slide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been using the Lula loading tool for a number of years. Usually by setting the base on a hard surface to gain leverage. When shooting the new Shield Plus recently, I found that the gun was not cycling properly and discovered why. When using the tool you must make certain that each cartridge goes in all the way back and is stacking properly. If not, they will tilt slightly resulting in difficulty getting the 13th round in the magazine and also jam when the receiver cycles attempting to strip the next round from the magazine into the chamber. Kind of an embarrassing moment, I've been loading automatics for 60 years, but have never encountered springs as stiff as in these new 13 rd double stacked mags.
Thanks for sharing your experience. So, it seems that the mags, especially the 13 mags have problems. Some folks say the springs loosen up over time.

I am also having big problems loading a full magazine into the gun. You really have to slam the mag HARD to get it in.

I am also having an issue with the slide stop/release lever. You cannot release the slide with that lever with a full magazine.

I just wonder how S&W is ok with releasing these guns with these problems. They had to know about this during development testing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. So, it seems that the mags, especially the 13 mags have problems. Some folks say the springs loosen up over time.

I am also having big problems loading a full magazine into the gun. You really have to slam the mag HARD to get it in.

I am also having an issue with the slide stop/release lever. You cannot release the slide with that lever with a full magazine.

I just wonder how S&W is ok with releasing these guns with these problems. They had to know about this during development testing.
The M&Ps have always had a stiff slide stop. On fact I believe that in the owners manual it says that it is a slide stop not a slide release and they recommend the sling shot method to release the slide. Everything I read about the 13 round Shield Plus magazine indicates to me that it really is a 12 round magazine that you can cram 13 rounds in, but then things don't work. My thought would be down load it to 12 rounds for a while until the spring soften, then load 13 if necessary. I remember similar problems with the 7 round magazine on the standard Shield. There was too much spring for the size of the magazine. I trimmed one coil off of the magazine spring on the 7 rounders and all of the problems were solved and they still work great today. I am considering a Shield Plus. If I get one I will treat the so called 13 round magazine as a 12 rounder. That is still a substantial weapon for concealed carry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The M&Ps have always had a stiff slide stop. On fact I believe that in the owners manual it says that it is a slide stop not a slide release and they recommend the sling shot method to release the slide. Everything I read about the 13 round Shield Plus magazine indicates to me that it really is a 12 round magazine that you can cram 13 rounds in, but then things don't work. My thought would be down load it to 12 rounds for a while until the spring soften, then load 13 if necessary. I remember similar problems with the 7 round magazine on the standard Shield. There was too much spring for the size of the magazine. I trimmed one coil off of the magazine spring on the 7 rounders and all of the problems were solved and they still work great today. I am considering a Shield Plus. If I get one I will treat the so called 13 round magazine as a 12 rounder. That is still a substantial weapon for concealed carry.
Thank you Rangerman. I appreciate your comments. (y)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Uplula is definitely the way to go. The 13 round mag for my Shield Plus was stiff, but the spare ones that I bought at the gun show re-defined stiff. It was crazy how hard it was to get the 13th round in both of them. I broke down and bought the Uplula, and I don't know how I got along without it for all those years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I read a few of these threads when I bought my plus. I ended up using the Lula to cram all 13 rounds in the mag over and over again the first night I got them (4 mags). After what felt like the 20th time, they started loosening up and now I can push all 13 rounds in with my thumbs no problem. It just takes some repetition of the last 3 rounds. I still have to insert the mag with a bit of "authority", but nothing unreasonable. Slide release is still easier if I sling shot it.

·
Registered
17,183 Posts
The original Shield had magazines that were tough to completely load too. I bought mine in 2012 and while I can load the magazines by hand, that last round is still a struggle sometimes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I signed up here just for this specific issue. I can only load 11 rounds no matter how hard I try even with a LULA. I am a bit disappointed but I am hoping they will loosen up over time. However this is not a good sign. If it is advertised as having 13 round capacity, it should have 13 round capacity. I bought an extra when I purchased the Plus. Hopefully they work out over time.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts