Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have the same problem sometimes. I think it's the spring not seating correctly even though I have aligned it correctly. If you rack it a couple of times when it gives you the problem it will eventually pop into place and then the slide will move far enought so you can use the slide stop lever to lock it back.
Thanks Zoti! You know I really thought I had it all the way back, but when the problem stopped I figured I hadn't. My other pistol has a little half-moon where the spring seats in the middle, so I may not have had it lined up properly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a new Shield 9mm and love it. When I was in the store I field stripped it using the trigger pull method, and put it back together, no problem. I went right to the range, shot it and brought it home. After I cleaned it I had a terrible time getting the slide to lock back before rotating the take-down lever back parallel with the slide. What I was first trying to do was to slide the slide all the way back on the rails, lock it back and then rotate the take down lever, but I couldn't get the slide to lock back.

The manual says: "Move the slide rearward until it engages the rear frame rails. Push the slide stop up to engage the slide stop notch. Let the slide move forward as the slide stop is held up to allow the slide stop to engage the notch and hold the slide open. Rotate the take down lever 90 degrees counter-clockwise so it is parallel with the frame before allowing the slide to move forward to the closed position." So is that first sentence telling you to just let the slide engage with the rails, or to forcefully push it all the way to the rear? The slide stop doesn't want to go up, even with the slide all the way back, but after many, many, MANY tries I finally got it to catch. I just field stripped it again using the sear deactivation method, and had the same problem getting the slide stop to engage.

It definitely seems different than my XD9SC. Can someone help? Thanks!

I had the same problem with my new shield. It is very stubborn. When I tried to reassemble it I could not get the slide to come all the way back to a point where I could reengage the down lever or the slide lock, something seem to be blocking it. I checked that spring was center and reseated it a couple times. Once I intentionally put it in not centered and the problem got worse as expected. The next day I tried rotating the coil and finally the slide locked. Now my soar hands can take a day to recover!

Also, I noticed that with an empty mag installed the slide will lock back automatically, but I cannot get it to release by pulling the slide back. With the mag removed, I have no problem. Is this typical?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my new shield. It is very stubborn. When I tried to reassemble it I could not get the slide to come all the way back to a point where I could reengage the down lever or the slide lock, something seem to be blocking it. I checked that spring was center and reseated it a couple times. Once I intentionally put it in not centered and the problem got worse as expected. The next day I tried rotating the coil and finally the slide locked. Now my soar hands can take a day to recover!

Also, I noticed that with an empty mag installed the slide will lock back automatically, but I cannot get it to release by pulling the slide back. With the mag removed, I have no problem. Is this typical?
Yes, with the mag in, you have to manually pull the slide stop down for release by design. That's why your slide locks back on the last round. Anyways, I'm having this same strange issue. My hands are now killing me. I just purchased my M&P shield .40 today. I had to install the recoil spring about 15 times before I could get the slide all the way back. I had the same "something was blocking it issue". I'm pretty sure it's the recoil spring and I'm thinking after I put about 500 rounds through it, it should correct the issue. I did notice when before I stripped it for the first time, the slide acted like it was going to hang up when I had it all the way back. Since I field stripped it, it doesn't seem to be doing that anymore. I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue... Here's a picture of the top of my RSA... Shouldn't that be even??

spring_zpsfd0087d3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,947 Posts
Yes, with the mag in, you have to manually pull the slide stop down for release by design. That's why your slide locks back on the last round. Anyways, I'm having this same strange issue. My hands are now killing me. I just purchased my M&P shield .40 today. I had to install the recoil spring about 15 times before I could get the slide all the way back. I had the same "something was blocking it issue". I'm pretty sure it's the recoil spring and I'm thinking after I put about 500 rounds through it, it should correct the issue. I did notice when before I stripped it for the first time, the slide acted like it was going to hang up when I had it all the way back. Since I field stripped it, it doesn't seem to be doing that anymore. I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue... Here's a picture of the top of my RSA... Shouldn't that be even??

View attachment 18912
Next time I take mine down I will check, but if my memory is serving well I don't believe mine looks like that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have the 9mm Shield, which has been absolutely flawless for me with less than 500 down the pipe.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370169753.089592.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370169766.752730.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370169798.235729.jpg

You may want to make sure that its seated all the way down on the barrel. I noticed when I replaced mine moments ago, I realized the spring could snap down more firmly in place.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 9mm Shield, which has been absolutely flawless for me with less than 500 down the pipe.

View attachment 19179
View attachment 19180
View attachment 19181

You may want to make sure that its seated all the way down on the barrel. I noticed when I replaced mine moments ago, I realized the spring could snap down more firmly in place.

Hope this is helpful.
I see where your RSA also looks kind of mine towards the top but if you'll notice, it's still below the top. On mine, the spring is above the top of the plastic. S&W is shipping me a new RSA after I sent them my picture. I still haven't test fired mine yet because I didn't want to risk it with the way my RSA looked. Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow, they ordered it for me on Tuesday 05/28. Can't wait to get it on the range! I'll be getting a Crossbreed minituck for it. Can't wait to see the difference on carrying this IWB vs. my crossbreed IWB with the XD40SC.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Excellent. I think their customer service is fantastic. IMHO, the Shield is about as perfect conceal carry gun as there is. There is good reason they've been so hard to find.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So, nearly six years later, I find this thread after searching for any discussions that might reveal information about MY problem with reassembly of my .40 Shield. It's a Calif. legal model. While trying to reassemble my Shield, I couldn't get the slide back far enough to lock and rotate the take down lever and I noticed the forward end of the recoil spring assembly was abnormally protruding. Zoti's post(#20) seemed quite relevant, as did the #22 and #23 posts. Recoil spring -that seems to be an issue here with mine also. Brand-spankin' new, with only a hundred rounds through it. Had field-stripped it before firing with no such problem. I think the newness could be a contributing factor, as well as a possible misalignment of the recoil spring. By the way, finding this thread was helpful, and I am in total agreement with Bender, the previous poster in 2013. The Shield is my favorite carry. I use a Performance Center model in .40 S&W. Love it!
Thanks to everybody in this timewarp/thread. It's still timely, even if I'm not.... P.S.: my new Shield has fiber optic sights, and shoots great!

·
Premium Member
16,909 Posts
I've had my slide stop short on a couple of occasions and remembering the same problem with my 3rd gen pistols, I seated and centered the rear flange on the recoil spring assembly on the breech lug and it worked after that. The only other problem I have is that the takedown lever comes out of place and it is difficult to replace and seat.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts