Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever seen a Sheffield machete with a wooden sheath? I bought one today for $2, if this sheath isn't original it is a first rate piece of woodworking.
Both are old, maybe 50 +/- years, looks like maybe a civilian version of their 18" blade, with a round Sheffield logo on the steel near the handle, black rubber/plastic grips with 5 rivets.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
This Kitchin machete - which was made in Sheffield - came with a heavy leather and canvas sheath which was lost many years ago. There may have been some thin wood underneath the canvas, but I can't remember.

Does yours have a similar stamp?

Sheffield is just the name of a steel knife manufacturing center in the English midlands. A "Sheffield" stamping just IDs a knife as being English-made.

$2 is a really good buy!

xtm

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope. Looks like this:

I've decided now it must be a home made sheath. It needs a good cleaning and some glue, and I know someone who has the knowledge to wrap it all up in leather too. Not bad for $2.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Anybody else notice the incorrect "Shefeeld" spelling on your blade stamping? Not English-made and a deliberate attempt to hide where it's really manufactured! China? India? Pakistan?

Still, it's worth more than $2. :)

xtm

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I noticed it when I took that close up. Guess I need to keep the eyes open better, but as you say it was worth the $2. It'd slice & chop up Osama Bin Laden pretty well, and give him a good dose of tetanus too.

·
Registered
402 Posts
X-Man,
That's a nice looking blade. The broad arrow mark stamp over the date shows that it was British military issue at one time. I can see some British trooper slashing his way through the jungles of Burma with that one while carrying his trusty Lee Enfield #5 Jungle carbine slung over his shoulder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.