Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found this on a local trading board and did some swapping.

IMG_0995.JPG

It's a Pendersoli reproduction of the 1874 military rifle. I believe the double set triggers makes it the sniper version.

IMG_0994.JPG

Full stock but without a brass patch box. It's also has a little twist to it. Well, actually more than just a little... It's been bored out to 45-120 from the original 45-70 chambering! That's a 30-06 case for comparative purposes.

IMG_0996.JPG

The trade included RCBS dies, bullet mold for a 500 grain bullet, and 80+ cases. It wasn't so much the cartridge that interested me. Would rather had it in the original 45-70 configuration. But I've always wanted a Sharps cartridge rifle and this will do. Original Sharps are priced like Colt SAs, way out of my price range!

Now I just gotta find me some buffalo...

John

·
Premium Member
11,433 Posts
Good job. Been reading about Walt Longmire and his experiences with the Sharps.

Reactions: timetripper

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Good looking rifle.. The tang sight and the lack of a military rear sight would tend to support your theory on a sniper rifle.

I have a Shiloh Sharps that's a heck of a shooter.

I have three 530 grain paper patched bullets (flying telephone poles) that were fired at a target at 100 yards that were/are welded together when I dug them out of the dirt bank behind the target.

A couple of friends and I were whanging away at a steel buffalo at a 1000 yards one 4th of July.. Itchy came up and asked if she could try it. I explained the sights etc. She stood there holding that rifle offhand and let'r rip.

She stood there a couple of seconds, lowered the rifle, and asked, "Did I mis.....Bong!!!

She handed me the rifle and said, "It's best to quit on a hit!" and walked away.

Damn I love that woman!:D:cool:

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
No Sharps in the safe but I do have a Browning High Wall in 45-70 with a Williams peep sight. That's a nice find and you did good. Double set triggers are nice. Wish my Browning had them. Now go shoot that cannon and give us a full range report.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Hey John,

That is a mighty fine rifle!!

Friend of mine has one of those Pendersolis in 45/70. Shoots LIGHTS OUT!!

Later, Mark

Reactions: timetripper

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you still shoot .45-70's in that rifle? Sort of like shooting .38's in a .357.
Should be able to 'Bro. 45-90 too. Anything that be made from the 45 Basic case. I plan to run some 45-70 through her first chance I get.

Most of the cases were loaded up with smokeless powder and either 500 gr lead or 405 gr flat nose jacketed. Unfortunately the individual I traded with had received them from another fellow and didn't know what they were loaded. After the trade I spend that evening pullet bullets and found that most were loaded with two different types of thick cylindrical powder in loadings from 48 to 63 grains. They all had over powder paper wading to fill the gap under the bullet.
I reloaded the pulled 500 grain lead and a bunch of 335 gr cast bullets I got from a friend. Some with 3F BP and the rest with Trailboss.
Haven't shot the BP loads yet but the 335 Gr with Trailboss did OK but the 500 gr with TB went all over the place and as often as not tumbled into some nice looking keyholes!
I know it's not the smartest thing to do but I did shoot a couple of the jacketed loads as received. They did very well with the 100 yard gong. Recoil was akin to shooting 180 gr 30-06 hunting loads.
I've got some research and work ahead of me, but pulling the trigger on this one is like yanking the lanyard on a cannon... it's great fun!

John

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Hey John,

For a 405gr LFP, 13 to 14gr of Universal Clays or Unique. 15 to 16gr of HS 6. (this is what I use in my 1895CB) 24gr 2400. 28 to 32gr 4198 (either one)

Let me see if I can get a link to work... Lever Gun Performance Studies

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
If you can find yourself one of those 330 grain Goulds? Hollow Point molds you won't even have to gut em' after you shoot em'. Nasty bullet.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
If you have never loaded black powder in one of these, get the primer published by Steve Garbe and/or Mike Venturino. There is a lot that goes in to making these rifles shoot with black powder. I have a Pedersoli.45-70 Rolling block. A .40-70 Sharps straight and a .45-100. Both in Shiloh Sharps rifles. They will shoot right along with any high powered rifle if you do your job at the loading bench.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you have never loaded black powder in one of these, get the primer published by Steve Garbe and/or Mike Venturino. There is a lot that goes in to making these rifles shoot with black powder.
Thanks, I'll do that Ratzo.
There are more than a few long rang black powder shooters at the local Fish and Game club. Sunday mornings is their unofficial meeting time at the range for socializing and informal shooting of anything to do with the "Holy Black". Shippensburg is nearby and is the site of many BP shoots. I need to pay a visit sometime.

John

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Thanks, I'll do that Ratzo.
There are more than a few long rang black powder shooters at the local Fish and Game club. Sunday mornings is their unofficial meeting time at the range for socializing and informal shooting of anything to do with the "Holy Black". Shippensburg is nearby and is the site of many BP shoots. I need to pay a visit sometime.

John
You will learn much at one of those shoots. They are as big a bunch of enablers as the characters around here!

This site has what you need. https://www.buffaloarms.com/

Another good source for information is the Shiloh rifle forum. Access it through the Shiloh Sharps webpage.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a nice rifle Kwc. I've always liked the look of the octagon to round barrel. Got a few of them around.

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts