Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon. New to the forum. Just wondering if there's a serial number database here? Briefly looked but haven't found anything yet...have a few guns left to me by my late father and I'm trying to track down dates of manufacture.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
There is a book by Supica/Nahas called "The Catalog of Smith and Wesson" that'll get you close. If you provide the serial numbers, several members have that book and can look it up for you.

If you want the best information, you'll have to contact Smith & Wesson. They provide that service for a fee.

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass, Scott! As cp1969 says, there are tables of manufacture dates in the Standard Catalog of S&W, 4th Edition, by Supica and Nahas. You can get it in digital form that you can put on a computer or smartphone for reference. While the serial numbers are important, identifying the model is also important because S&W overlapped serials among models. So a K frame Military & Police revolver can have the same serial number as an I frame .32 Hand Ejector or an N frame in .44 Special or .45 ACP, as examples. This is less of a problem if the gun was made after WWII when S&W began to put letters preceding the numbers on its commercial guns. So, if you want us to help you ID and date the gun, pictures will be helpful.

BTW, S&W no longer provides a factory letter for a fee and they may give you a manufacturing date by phone that is incorrect unless the gun was recently manufactured. You can get an historian's letter from the S&W Historical Foundation after January 2022. Links to the letter request form are at the top of the forum in a sticky post.

·
Registered
421 Posts
S&W identifies gun age by its "ship date" rather than the manufacture date. A particular gun may sit on a shelf in the warehouse for quite a while before shipping to a wholesaler or dealer. However, the Catalog has SN's listed by model, name or frame size by the year that a particular SN was applied to the gun. Personally, I prefer to know the year the gun was manufactured in; the SN list can get you within a year or maybe two of when it was manufactured, because most of the SN's are given as a range of numbers that were made in a particular year. For example, a "N" prefix N frame gun like a model 27, or model 29, may show in the list as N100000, which would be 1973. Another range, like N200000, would be 1974-1977, a bit harder to pin down, unless you assumed a low 200000 number might be 1974 and a high 200000 would be 1977. Buit then, the list shows that N300000 is between 1975-1976. SN's weren't assigned in consecutive order, and all models made on the N frame are in these SN ranges. This is where the "letter" from S&W, with its ship date, makes it a better indicator of the gun's "birth", or entry into the market.

On a broader scale, the SN can get you into a particular era; Guns manufactured pre-WWII only have a number with no letter prefix. They also didn't have model numbers, just names, like "K-32 Hand Ejector", or K-32 Masterpiece", which became the Model 16 once model numbers were assigned in 1957. early postwar N frames had "S" as a prefix, up to 1968, and were then changed to "N" prefix. K frame guns had a K in the SN after 1945. Sound confusing? It can be. Since you have "a few guns" left to you, and assuming most are S&W's, buy the Catalog, it's a great reference to the history of everything S&W has made (it includes their rifles, shotguns and semiautos, too.)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hello to all, I to was looking for a production date "chart", looked through many posts. I am looking for AJM,BEJ,BJC prefix's. I also have a frame butt stamp that begins with 70K, 1970? my guess??
The "3 Alpha" SN's begin to appear with some 1980 models, and by 1983 most guns had switched to them. N frame revolvers go as high as 1986 with the old style "N" prefix. The 3-letter prefix is harder to pin to a date range, as they tend to jump around more, and some 3 letter combinations were skipped altogether. 70Kxxxx falls into the 1980 timeframe, which ran from 57K0001 - 91K6800.
Your triple-alpha 'AJM' is probably around 1986; I see AJB, AJD, and AJJ in 1985, and AJC, AJD, and AJN, S, and T in 1986, but AJM doesn't show in either year or 1987
'BEJ' could be 1989, 1990 or 1991 but also doesn't show up specifically.
'BJC' shows up in 1992.

There is no specific date chart from S&W. They consider the shipping date as their "birthday"; however, the Standard Catalog has serial number range listings in the index, and the manufacture date can be approximated using them. The only definitive way to know is to request a letter from the S&W Historical Foundation, which would give you the date the gun was shipped. Note that the gun may have sat on a shelf for varying periods of time from its manufacture date to its ship date. Letters are on a temporary hold right now, as the requests are backlogged, but requests will be taken again once the backlog is taken care of. You can find information elsewhere on this forum how to request a letter.

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
A Model 10-7 can't have a serial number of C359288 (the B97447 is not a serial) because that C series number is from around 1956 which is before S&W model marked their guns. Check it again to make sure you have the numbers correct or that you have a model marked gun.

The Chiefs Special (MOD 36) serial is on the butt, not from inside the yoke cut. You may have to remove grips to see it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think I have it narrowed down, one is a pre mod 10 5 screw, ser# C359288 (1954-1955 I think?), and the model 36, is 3rd style flat latch, ser# 323550, (1962-1963 I think?) This is what I found, cross referencing many posts? How close am I?? Both are pawn shop finds, they need to be cleaned up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
That is about as close as one can get without an historian's letter. The Chiefs Special should be marked MOD 36 inside the yoke cut.

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Please start a new thread in this forum. At a minimum give us the serial number, or at least the 3 letter prefix that forms part of the serial, from the bottom of the metal grip frame, the model number from inside the yoke cut with the cylinder open and the caliber (e.g., .38 S&W Special CTG). Pictures would really help if you can manage that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have two different S&W revolvers that I inherited from my dad. The first is a .357 Magnum ( I think it is a Model 19) with a S 191873 number on the bottom of the grip. I think my dad told me it was made in 1959, but not entirely sure. The other is a .38 S&W Special (Model 10 maybe???) with 30D5886 on the bottom of the grip. My uncle was in the Virginia State Police and he gave this gun to my dad because the State Police were switching over to a different weapon back in the 80's and all the "old" guns were being retired. He was the headquarter sergeant and was able to procure a few for family. Any help identifying models and years would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is a book by Supica/Nahas called "The Catalog of Smith and Wesson" that'll get you close. If you provide the serial numbers, several members have that book and can look it up for you.

If you want the best information, you'll have to contact Smith & Wesson. They provide that service for a fee.
I have two different S&W revolvers that I inherited from my dad. The first is a .357 Magnum ( I think it is a Model 19) with a S 191873 number on the bottom of the grip. I think my dad told me it was made in 1959, but not entirely sure. The other is a .38 S&W Special (Model 10 maybe???) with 30D5886 on the bottom of the grip. My uncle was in the Virginia State Police and he gave this gun to my dad because the State Police were switching over to a different weapon back in the 80's and all the "old" guns were being retired. He was the headquarter sergeant and was able to procure a few for family. Any help identifying models and years would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts