Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

My book does not show the "BJ_" series specifically but nearby prefixes starting with "BH_" and BK_" occur in 1991-1992.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

thank you very much for your Welcome and the information. I checked the serial number again at the box endlabel; Serial no. BJB 92XX Productcode 103606 Spec. Ord. 2114.

Best Regards dante

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
BJB dates from 1992. Found it jumbled up in the 4th Edition of the Standard Catalog. Those 3-alpha serials are a mess.

I have a 17-4 and I can't find the 3-alpna serial in the 4th Ed. Standard Catalog, so will go back to the gun and verify if AYE or AEY... I do get dylsexic at times.

Reactions: dante and jeepnut

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Blocks of serial numbers are often set aside for special orders.

·
Premium Member
22,108 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass, dante! Your 629-3 shipped April 23, 1992. The Spec Ord number is a Julian date with the first digit representing the year and the following 3 digits the day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Salve a tutti !!! Mi sono iscritto ora.. Non riesco trovare SCSW in PDF... Mi serviva sapere di che anno è la produzione della mia 629 Matr. CEC88xx... (se avete un attimo e la cortesia da dedicarmi)

·
Premium Member
22,108 Posts
Hello everyone !!! I signed up now .. I can't find SCSW in PDF ... I needed to know what year is the production of my 629 Matr. CEC88xx ... (if you have a moment and the courtesy to dedicate to me)
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass, Roby! Your Model 629 was made in 2000.

·
Registered
16,930 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The 15-6 was made from 1988-1994. Yours was made in 89 or 90 most likely. The book doesn't list all triple alpha prefixes so you have to kind of see where it would fit on the list

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I need help finding the year of when my model 17 22 long rifle revolver was made. Serial number inside the front of the trigger on the inside frame, visible only when you swing open the chamber, is K 73088. The number on the butt is K65038; and the number located on the bottom of the barrel where the extractor arm is, is K65038 also. Thanks in advance.
Also, why doesn't S&W offer this serial lookup on their site?

·
Premium Member
22,108 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the cotton and peanut covered plains of the Wiregrass! Your .22 Masterpiece target revolver was made in 1948. The serial number on the butt is the official one. The under barrel matches and there should be a serial on the rear face of the cylinder and on the back of the right grip panel (just numbers) that match the butt. I can't answer why S&W doesn't make serial number lookup available. For many years, they offered access to their Historian and customer service reps who would provide shipping dates but that practice ended about 6 years ago. However, you can purchase an S&W Historical Foundation's letter of authenticity for $100 that provides when the gun shipped, to whom and in what configuration when it left the factory. We like seeing these older tapered barrel models. How about some pictures?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Air gun Trigger Revolver Wood Gun barrel
Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel

Many thanks Wiregrassguy for the quick response and info. Really appreciate it. Where would I go to find out it's value and who buys such things?

PS. This was my dad's pistol and if he bought it new, my guess is that it hasn't been shot more than a few hundred times.

·
Premium Member
22,108 Posts
Well, the members here can give a ballpark estimate of value. By any chance, do you have the original gold box, papers and tools? Tools would include cleaning rod, bore brush, swab and a small black oxide, knurled handle screwdriver called a sight adjustment tool (SAT). Without the accessories, I'd put it in the $800-950 range. You can't sell it here. However, the other S&W forum has a classifieds forum for guns. Read and follow their rules carefully if you post it. Don't take it to a pawn or gun shop as they will not give you full value for it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts